cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows error message

N/A

windows error message

I have a major problem and cant get help any where. whenever i turnmy computer on i get a message. it is:
"Windows cannot find 'SMSSrm,exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, Click start, and then click search'

Ive looked in the msconfig startup tab for SMSSrm.exe and it is there. Only problem is that it is already unticked.

Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

windows error message

I assume that you have Windows 98?
If so you could do a reinstall of windows over the top of itself.
You will need a bootable floppy that also has the cd drivers installed on it. The one that is ceated when you first install windows will do.
Navigate to the cd and run setup.exe. Tell it no when it suggests creating a reatore folder and also click cancel at the create backup floppy as you already have one.

If You don't have the floppy but have a fairly modern motherboard you could set the bios to boot from the windows cd then proceed as above.

This will put all the files back for windows yet leave all your settings intact so you don't have to do a lot of re-installing afterwards.
N/A

windows error message

No its not 98. Its XP Home
Community Veteran

windows error message

Ok. I've not had a thorough play with Xp yet so I dont know what sort of things you can do with that operating system yet :?

You need a reply from someone with a bit more knowlege for this one. Cry
N/A

windows error message

I can't seem to find much information on that and it isn't a default component of XP.

Have your tried running AdAware or SpyBot?
N/A

windows error message

Yes, I run ad-aware once a week. I have a suspicion that it could be a virus but im not sure. Ive ran Norton Antivirus but came up with nothing.
N/A

windows error message

Did you update the Norton Antivirus definitions before running the scan?
Community Veteran

windows error message

Have you had the machine linked up to a corporate network at some point?

SMSSrm.exe is a component of Systems Management Server. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get rid of it independently of the network itself.

A reformat/reinstall might be your only option.

B.
N/A

windows error message

yeah. my virus definitions are always up to date. Im only connected to the internet and nothing else. I guess its a long re-installation session for me then. Can i just install xp over my original installation or will that not work.
N/A

windows error message

hi, you can reinstall over the top of it, but i have found it gets a bit messy or i use the file and settings transfer wiz on the xp cd, then format my hd during install and run the wiz again after install and all my setting, files etc are back in place Cheesy

johnathan
N/A

windows error message

i havent got a proper xp disc though. Its a restore disc. will that matter