cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 64

N/A

windows 64

Hi all Smiley
Just wondering if anyone uses the 64 bit version of windows, I have an athalon 64 and was thiking of useing windows 64 but am a bit worried about wether its worth the effort, with all the 64 bit drivers looking rather thin on the ground I dont want to end up with more problems than I can shake a stick at :?

Is it worth the hastle :?:
8 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

windows 64

It depends a lot on what you will need drivers for and imho its not worth the bother just yet
ive not tried it myself but know a couple that have and drivers are a major problem at the moment although it shouldnt be too long before this is rectified but it does depends on how quickly the hardware / software manufacturers get there acts together

Remember how many just didnt bother when xp was launched and personally i wont bother for a long time yet

Have you got a spare hard drive you could swap out to your 64 bit system just to install it onto and try it for yourself this way you get to know what it will and wont do and if it doesnt work out youve lost nothing by re installing your xp drive
N/A

windows 64

there is NO software for it, check out planetamd64 or what ever it is, thats like the largest area fot his kind of thing, there are like NO AVs or firewalls, and only a very small amount of drivers. so yea, its naff at the moment
N/A

windows 64

Ok thanks for the info, I suspected as much.
Ill keep whats left of my sanity a while longer Smiley
sloany
Grafter

windows 64

Avast4 Antivirus supports X64 www.avast.com and its free! or if you have loads of money norton server 2003 also supports X64. not sure about firewalls as i dont use one (let my router deal with that). I have managed to find drivers for ALL my devices, most are shipped with X64. but as buzzons says no software which utilises 64bit at the mo. The only game i know to support 64bit is FarCry. I am in a call of duty clan and had to mess about with it so it ran on 64bit. if you are unsure about your x64 drivers go a search on google, i have just done one and came up with hundreds.
The only thing i am a bit miffed about, i save all my cd/dvd programmes as images useing alcohol, but there are no virtual drive drivers out at the mo. I got my upgrade to x64 for free, due to microsoft doing the technology upgrade (which has now expired). I dont think i would bother shelling out any money for X64 tho.
N/A

windows 64

id say give it another year at least before goin 64bit -- the issues with drivers and stuff really need to get resoloved, oh and the symantec (norton) Corp version "does" support 64bit, but it crashes, is buggy, is slow, and doesnt start up some times.. the 32bit one rocks, but the 64bit one does not
N/A

windows 64

hiya peeps just a little info for you

i,ve been running a OEM version now for a couple of months
play CS source and BF2 no probs
got navidia 64bit drivers etc

running my old 32 apps ok

only pain is got a microsoft media keyboard with all the buttons on
and cant get drivers for it , well thats microsoft for you

all my old copying stuff all ok
nero, dvd shrink
web design and paint programs eg PSP etc all ok
and run a mirc server

hope this info helps out

takecare

Rob Cool
N/A

windows 64

well it all depends on how well you know how to drive your PC.

cause if your a novice then you have no reason to use any of the 64 bit OS's.

and really unless you have a specific reason to use a 64 bit operating system then why bother?
N/A

windows 64

in the long run, when everything works fine, it will allow pcs to operate a lot faster, have more ram etc etc etc.. all in all a great step for technology however its in its infantile stages and as such not very well supported