cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win xp new hardware

Brickinit
Grafter

win xp new hardware

a friend cooked her CPU after the fan packed up, which ment it would only startup as and when it felt like it, which wasn't very often.
it proved fruitless trying to source a new CPU (pentium 4 1500 mhz) so a new motherboard AMD CPU fan and ATX case purchased ( the old case only 200w,mini).after putting all bits together into the bios to set up the IDE devices power up and---------- it stops in the middle of bootup saying hardware has changed, disable any new hardware ect.
fine but if i do that there will be nothing to run. i have no start-up disc as i couldn,t get into the machine before starting work, the recovery disc is on the hard drive so that appears to be a no-go. is there any way to boot-up with a floppy and reformat and install another operating system.or does anyone have any advise to get me out of this jam. i have a full vertion of win 98/ME
4 REPLIES
N/A

win xp new hardware

You can create bootable floppies to either help recover data from a hard
drive or install an operating system. Look at these sites for downloads.
http://www.ez-pc.org/?midx=109&didx=1

http://www.sernat.demon.co.uk/dload.htm

Note : just noticed you dont have the original xp disc Ive used the xp floppies
to boot up and reinstall xp but not sure if it will allow you to install W98/ME.
You could also try installing the hard drive as a second drive in your own
computer, reformatt, then try reinstalling back in friends machine.

Ezos also make a 'multi' operating sytem floppy which might work (it has the ability to completely wipe the drive before installing OS)
http://www.ezosinstall.com/index.php?refcode=2
Community Veteran

win xp new hardware

With a modern motherboard you should be able to go into the bios and set it to boot from the CD.
This will allow you to set up windows straight off the CD without the need for a floppy boot disk at all.
N/A

win xp new hardware

I did write some nonsense last night and dont even have an excuse.
Plugging the HD into your own operating system won't work if its
W98/ME, your system will be unable to format the XP drive as it's probably
partitioned in NTFS. The only way it might work is if you placed it in a
computer with XP.
You could set the BIOS to boot into the Cd and try your W98/ME disk
as this already has an on board 'Boot disk' but again this is a DOS
based utility and unlikely to be able to formatt NTFS.
The EZOS utility looks very promising and costs less than a fiver.
Good luck and hope you sort it.
Brickinit
Grafter

win xp new hardware

thanks for the help. i managed to get a full version of XP so have done a new installation and deleted the old,it seems to have been the easyest option beeings there was no important data involved. just have to check whether it has sorted the modem out or if i need to do some detective work to locate drivers with little info on the modem card