cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win me problem

N/A

win me problem

Sad help please i HAVE been trying to re install win me without succes it gets\as far as setting up hardware and hangs an hangs for ever , close dowqn an try again same problem,cannot reboot using start up disk neither.so dont know what the prob. is.would like to re format the HD but cant even get into DOSW to do that , help me please using my laptop for this thanks, Antony

Moderators note by Chris: Please don't post email addresses in the forums, it's an invitation to spam and replies to the group mean everyone can benefit from help
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

win me problem

You say it's a laptop so you can't really remove much hardware, but remove any PCMCIA cards that might be the cause of your problems and remove any USB or other connected external devices.

Also what errors do you get when you use a boot disk?

Chris
N/A

win me problem

sorry for postin email addy.
right no im usin my laptop its tthe desktop thats the prob.
start up disk just does not load upas for installing WIN me ITS GET AS FAR AS settin up hardware and freezes,the only way i can get out then is to kill power which i dont like doinits 556 mram athlon 2gb120 hd ect ect i would really like to re format the FD but cant do it if i removed and connected to another pc as a slave could i reformat that wayHuhplease. thanks for your help..much appreciated.antony
Community Veteran

win me problem

Yes you could connect the disk upto another computer.

If your boot disk doesnt work it might be that you need to set it in the BIOS settings to check the floppy as a boot device first, this is usally pretty easy to do.
Otherwise it might be that your floppy disk is corrupt or just doesnt work.

As it's a desktop computer the same still applies as before, remove any unrequired devices, this includes sound cards, network adaptors and modems, take out some of the RAM if you can, a fresh install of windows will work happy with only 128mb.

Once you get the system up and running add the hardware back in and install it one at a time (starting with the RAM).

Chris
N/A

win me problem

ok thanks chris yes i did wonder myself if the floppy disk was ok Iv set the bios right to boot from floppy I dom know a wee bit bout these things but will follow your advice tomorrow and see how it goes from there thanks again. best wishes Antony
Community Veteran

win me problem

No probs, post back if you need any more help or if you get the problem fixed.

Chris
N/A

WIN ME prob

WELL MANAGED TO REFORMAT MY hd but ,In spite of downloading a boot disk and trying my other start up disk niether will boot the machine up ti install win ME have a slave drive on there with win 98 on it , but what can i do to get win me installed got thr cd rom in place just wont load , help please many thanks. Antony
Community Veteran

win me problem

You should be able to make the Windows ME disk boot up if you go into the bios of the machine and select the boot options to check for a cd first.
this would then allow you to install WinMe direct from the CD.

using a floppy is only any good if you have the right programs on it to make the dos its running see the CD Drive.

So try the bios and see if you can make the Windows CD bootable.
N/A

win me problem

Dont do it!

I had ME preinstalled when I bought this machine. I had no end of trouble. Lots of BSOD every time I tried to boot. I changed every setting and updated every driver. Eventually I made the upgrade to XP and system now boots 1st time every time.