cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which moden/router to get??

N/A

I am after some advice on which modem/router to get for my BB connection.
Should I go for a usb or pci , firewall or not ect

After best for online gamming.

Ta
9 REPLIES
N/A

The best for gaming is either an internal PCI card
or a router, don't go for USB.
MRI produce a very fast PCI card which appears to
have been tweaked for very low latency and ideal for
gamers, have a look
You could use a good software firewall such as Sygate with it.
A good router is Netgears new DG834
It has a built in hardware firewall.
N/A

It's like to disagree about the internal PCI modem. When playing very intense (graphically) games, it has been know for the modem to drop because the GPU is draining too much power and not leaving enough for the modem. I would recommend a router, no power issues there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One Not to buy the Origo 1 or 4 Port Router, its usually sold by Ebuyer.

1. For gaming its Firewall rules are a joke, you can set only 20 single port rules and No port ranges. So if any game you host requires more than 10 ports forget it as half of your rules are already used up, in making the router secure. Plus putting a PC in to DMZ wont work for very game, the Nat doesn't fully put the PC outwith its protection as it should, so games will still fail to host properly.

2. The additional advertising point of this router is a Optional SPI firewall, which after much prodding of Origo, the router can't have as they don't have the necessary hardware to install it. so they have advertised a router with a Option it cant have for a year or more.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Eeek..i have just recently connected to adsl with origo asr-8400 4 port router....as a gamer and already found that MSN messager file sharing and voice talking is blocked!!..Plus some other Voice comms are also blocked and as u say, u cannot open a range of ports, so alot of things will be blocked!!

Selling my router me thinks!! Sad Sad Sad

Any ideas for an idiots modem/router, that sets up very,very simpley for 1st time router users?

ty

RT
ESL
Grafter

Hi,

As far as I know, you may need a router that supports UPnP. Perhaps if you do a search for UPnP ADSL Routers you may turn something up.

Incidentally, I have just installed one: A Speedtouch 510. Brilliant to install, UPnP and superfast delivery from dealer. I placed the order at 3:45, picked at3:59, on a van at 4:15, in my hands 10:30 the next day.

Try http://www.dslsource.co.uk if you are interested (no connection, just a very satisfied customer.) Good firewall too )if a little fiddly to set up.)
N/A

I am using an DLink DSL-504 and had no complaints... in fact this is my 2nd one!

The first one is still at my parent's place, 1st generation, the firmware version is the same as the one it came with straight out the box a year ago.

My current one is 2nd generation and is currently sitting under my TV in my flat... quite easy to configure, port re-direction and firewall takes alittle getting used to but otherwise quite easy to set up.
N/A

I have a D-link DSL 504, Second generation (latest firmware), and I think it's terrible! It crashes if someone sends me a file on MSN or AIM, or if we do a voice/video chat, or try to share files. Anything which involves connecting with someone else and *poof* the network goes down.
N/A

I have a dlink dsl 500 (1 ethernet port instread of 4 with the 504) and had no problems, no crashes, a lot faster than my old pic card Cheesy
N/A

I have a D-link DSL 504, Second generation (latest firmware), and I think it's terrible! It crashes if someone sends me a file on MSN or AIM, or if we do a voice/video chat, or try to share files. Anything which involves connecting with someone else and *poof* the network goes down.

strange... both of my DSL-504's have been fine so far.... *fingers crossed* Cheesy

I have been exchanging files via MSN and ICQ with friends on numerous occasions, and I used use netmeeting with my gf when she was back in Singapore on a regular basis... so no problems yet and like i said before, I have had my first DSL-504 for a year now....