cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats FTP all about?

N/A

whats FTP all about?

Cheesy

I just cant get to grips with this FTP stuff Sad and the templates in the website wizzard are boring.
I use my web space to post pictures, and there arent many templates that are one colour.
Where can I get good info on FTP & what its all about?
Or a good tutorial?
Thanx,

Wink
6 REPLIES
N/A

whats FTP all about?

Hey dennyc,

Are you asking what FTP is all about? Or how to post pictures on your website?
FTP is used to Transfer Files (using a certain Protocol :-)). If your using Windows, do a search for cuteFTP, a simple windows program that uses FTP.
CuteFTP will show you two directories. One dir is on your hard drive, the other, on the internet somewhere (your web account with plus.net, in this case). You simply drag files from one to the other, and CuteFTP does the rest.
If you are feeling adventurous, click on start - run, and type in cmd
In the black box that appears, type in ftp dennyc.plus.com (or whatever your allocated ftp site is, check plus.net customer support page). Feel the horror, and begin downloading cuteFTP :-)
N/A

whats FTP all about?

Thanks for the info, but I'm still baffled as to how I design my website. Up loading pictures is fine. But how do I make my page a certain colour, and how do I place the pictures?
Thanx
N/A

whats FTP all about?

Ah, now that's a different area. That's HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language). It's as it sounds, a language, with which you can design page layouts, colours, fonts, and much more. I'd suggest buying a good book on it, though they can be kind of pricey. Maybe try searching around for HTML tutorials?
N/A

whats FTP all about?

Hi,

If you're looking for getting to grips HTML properly, then HTML Goodies is usually a good start. This will be able to answer your questions on changing page colour, and placing pictures etc. Admittedly I do little more than dabble in this area, but it worked for me a few years ago, and the principles haven't changed that much!

If this doesn't meet your needs (everyone learns in different ways) then a quick search reveals one or two other tutorials that are available on the web.

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

whats FTP all about?

You can design a web page, or complete site, using Microsoft Publisher , Micrososft Word or a wide variety of similar programmes and then "save as html". The saved files are then FTP'd to your site.
N/A

whats FTP all about?

dreamweaver mx is an awesome program and easy to use. You can download a free 30 day trial from www.macromedia.com