cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vista oem is it worth it

Community Veteran

vista oem is it worth it

I'm considering buying a copy of vista oem premuim home ed.

I've been advised that if I cnage my m'b then I'l need to but a new copy is this correct or will I be allowed a few hardware changes before the copy is locked out as with xp.

I have decent pc to put it on but wish to gradually improve it is vista oem the way to go or not.

BUying 2 copies of oem is still cheaper than one upgrade copy.

Can I change m/b and then cal microsoft to get a new activation key as I have been able to do with my current oem version.

A
45 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

vista oem is it worth it

The answer is a no. Microsoft is basically adopting a zero-tolerance on OEM copies of Windows from now on. Whether or not this is just Microsoft talking tough to twist peoples arms into signing up to a Retail copy, we'll have to wait and see.

Personally I think you need to be asking yourself do you need Vista? I was looking at it the other day and couldn't find a single reason to upgrade.

For me the price alone is enough to put me off buying. We are paying the same amount of £'s as the Americans are paying $'s so under the current exchange rate thats twice as much.

The other thing which puts me off is Microsoft's Digital Rights Management that is way too aggressive. Basically when you buy a High Definition movie it will play in much lower quality unless you have a compatible HD-DVD player, Graphics card, Sound card and Monitor. Can't see many upgrading their perfectly good graphics cards etc just to play HD movies. Copy right protection gone mad!

Stay away from Vista is my advice. At least until next Christmas. Let all the problems with DRM, compatible drivers, price and compatible software be worked out by someone else. Not worth the hassle. Win XP works fine and if XP doesn't do what you want try Linux or Mac OS are they are amazing these days and overlooked by too many people.
N/A

vista oem is it worth it

The other thing which puts me off is Microsoft's Digital Rights Management that is way too aggressive. Basically when you buy a High Definition movie it will play in much lower quality unless you have a compatible HD-DVD player, Graphics card, Sound card and Monitor. Can't see many upgrading their perfectly good graphics cards etc just to play HD movies. Copy right protection gone mad!

I thought that was the case with all HD content, for example if you connected your trusty old VHS into your HD telly and Sky box, they detect the non-DRM compliant device, and switch to low quality. (lower than current standard broadcast resolution IIRC)

A handy way of ensuring that folks buy all the kit, and then embrace the new era I suppose!

I'd agree with firejack that its best waiting a while, for any HD device, never mind for one run by Billy's software.
rodmc
Grafter

vista oem is it worth it

Indeed Firejack, I would also add that I would not advise anyone to buy a new MS OS until about 6 months afetr the initial release. MS have shown in the past that they just rush software out the door.
Njal
Grafter

vista oem is it worth it

There's an interesting article here:

http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/index.html

I don't think he likes Vista!

Regards,

Neil
shellsong
Grafter

vista oem is it worth it

Community Veteran

vista oem is it worth it

So I took the plunge. Apart from my SB Lice 5.1 not being recognised by vista and the intial day wasted getting it to see past my router I have to say I'm impressed.

Not impressed at the upgrade price but impressed by the new GUI etc.

For my money I've managed to produce 3 blue screen crashes and mutiple freezes as well.

I think now I have everything working I'm pretty much over those, I hope.

NOt worth 184 quid to upgrade but worth the oem price I'd say.

OEM dies with the M/b but 2 copies of OEM are still cheaper than one of upgrade, and you can do either a fresh install or a clean install with the same disk.

A
N/A

vista oem is it worth it

Have you seen the price in $ on Amazon.com? £=$ so why not buy from there, all languages are included so why be ripped off because the £ is strong and we are the mugs?
gswindale
Grafter

vista oem is it worth it

Amazon.com won't ship Vista to the UK.
shellsong
Grafter

vista oem is it worth it

Use Linux-- then you can choose the charities and bank accounts you want your money to go to instead of letting Bill Gates do it for you! :lol:
N/A

vista oem is it worth it

If you get a vista upgrade its cheaper and MS have confirmed they wont close the loop hole were you can install it on a blank drive be it a bit of a pain.
N/A

vista oem is it worth it

Now I thought, not haveing seen the workaround to use upgrade disk for a clean install I had a look. Easy I thought, so just how much is the Upgrade. Quck look round suggests I can purchase 2 * OEM copies for the price of 1 Upgrade Vista Home Premium - Or have I missed somehting else?

Maybe I have just seen the -or else 'Vista academic upgrade'
Community Veteran

vista oem is it worth it

2 oems cost less than one upgrade.

With oems you CAN do a clean install in a fresh H.D

With Upgrade you apparently need to install and acitvate xp THEN upgrade. I'm advised there is no clean install option on upgrade version.

OEM installed in 20 mins. Current system amd 3200+ with 1gb ram 160gb hd.

I've not looked at the academic version yet. Do you get three licenses as with office?

A
N/A

vista oem is it worth it

As i said you can do a clean install from the upgrade you dont need xp or anything else to upgrade and MS know of this but have stated they wont close this fault
N/A

vista oem is it worth it

OK, the maths as I see it, considering that all the options will allow a clean install.

Home premium full £168
Home premium U/G £114
Home premium OEM £62
Home premium Accademic U/G £53

all prices rounded + VAT and from same supplier. Only caviats as far as I can see is OEM locked to the computer its installed on so not portable. To get a 'clean' install on U/G you have to virtually install it twice. I assume that an U/G would be portable in that if I replaced the mb I could install and activate again. Can anyone advise on that one.