cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vista (again)

N/A

vista (again)

Posted about a problem with the vista i have installed but also wanted to know a small simple thing
would the vista disk i was sent by hp the upgrade for laptop, would that disk work on my main pc a philips Huh or would i have to buy a whole new disk
9 REPLIES
N/A

vista (again)

From your previous thread it looks like you've already installed your upgrade on to the laptop.

Microsoft only licence their operating systems for a single computer, and there will be systems in Vista that will not allow the same licence key to be installed on more than one computer- you will not be able to activate your copy a second time. I've also heard that if you make significant changes to the computer's hardware then you will need to phone Microsoft to re-activate your copy.

If you want to upgrade to Vista on your Philips then you need to purchase a second "upgrade" copy like this.

Almost everyone on this forum will strongly recommend against upgrading an existing computer at least until Service Pack 1 is released in order to allow time for drivers to be updated and bugs to be fixed.

If you do want to upgrade it is critical that you run this program first to check your system's compatability.
N/A

vista

Thank you for the info
The upgrade for the lap top was a free one.
Did not know a sp 1 would be comming out
Think I will wait untill later in year b4 i upgrade the main pc
thank you for your reply and advice
N/A

vista (again)

Its a interesting point because on every cd is every version of vista if you dont put a serial number in then it gives you a option to install every version.

You will of coarse have to enter a serial after 30 days and activate it. Having said that there is a well known work around were you can put off activation for up to a year and may be longer. This doesnt need any cracks as its a MS command so you could argue the legal points on that. It also means that doggy firms could sell the same Vista and put off the activation by a script see
[Removed]

MS did it this way so you can upgrade very simply just go on their site get a new serial and use the cd you have got. This may be a lot cheaper option.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Link removed see post below.]
Community Veteran

vista (again)

I am becoming increasing concerned that this thread is becoming inappropriate. This is not the place for the discussion of how to circumvent the copy protection systems on Microsoft Vista.

I have removed the link from the post above as I feel that it gives significant information to allow the circumvention of the copy protection system.

Jonathan
aka Chilly
N/A

vista (again)

The command is a built in MS command and as such its technical information. if its part of the O/S then its there to be used it doesnt get around registration etc. There is a lot of information on the net of it being used by dodgy companies to sell the same vista over and over again and as such its a consumer advice issue as well.

We wouldnt suggest on a forum the use of cracks or illegal patches to get pirated software but this isnt what this is and its even on MS own website so if they dont censor it why should plus net
Community Veteran

vista (again)

It was not PlusNet or even at the request of PlusNet, that the link was removed. It was on my own judgment.

If you can supply a link to this information on Microsoft's own web site then I would be happy for that to be posted. But I am not happy to see links detailing how to circumvent copy protection systems on this forum.

Chilly
N/A

vista (again)

I agree with mwright on this one. The information is on the Microsoft web site and also is the reason for this facility, as that is what it is - a facility, is for.
If chillypenguin is not aware of it where have you been these past few weeks. If you search on MSN for how delay activation on Vista (note! Microsoft search) you will get a ZDNet hit where all is discussed and the link to the Microsoft site.
microsoft also clearly explains how upgrades work so again, information about how to do a clean install from an upgrade disk is also on the Microsoft web site. it is a question of reading and understanding.
However, perhaps now the thread has deviated from the original when pointing out moderators intervention
Community Veteran

vista (again)

where have you been these past few weeks.

Hiding under an iceberg! :lol:

Chilly
N/A

vista (again)