cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virus programs

N/A

virus programs

what advice could someone give me on downloading a good and the best virus program about.....
19 REPLIES
N/A

virus programs

I am moving this thread to a more suited forum. Namely "Computers & Hardware".

Regards,
N/A

virus programs

NOD32 / Avast / AVG / SAV

thats basicaly the good ones, SAV being the best but most expensive, and AVG being free.
N/A

virus programs

I am curious...... although I have used it since the DOS version is there any particular reason I don't know of, for there never being any mention of F-Prot or so it seems when a "best anti-virus" type question pops up?

As I said have used it for years, and wondering if it has a flaw in it that I am not aware of.
holdtight
Grafter

virus programs

Nod32 is an excellent one and after using norton for years was a breath of fresh air

yes im equally as curious sunhouse F-Prot is also one of the best AV programs around (which cant be said for some of the big boys) but gets very few if any mentions

The only time i see it get a viewing is in the odd magazine review and even then its not very often as they always do the norton mcafee kaspersky etc reviews so yes why Huh
Dave_A
Dabbler

virus programs

I must admit, I use McAfee, but then again I have my own Exchange server & host my own mail & use their product to scan the email (Groupshield)
Community Veteran

virus programs

General: Essential Security software tutorial may be hekpful.
N/A

virus programs

I have been using AVAST free edition for last 3 years with no major problems, miles better than having to pay for a crap antivirus (norton, mcafee..). If every i get worried about avast not picking something up, use trendsmicro online virus scan.

Had a clean system since i use that method, give it a try ! Cheesy Cheesy

RT
thejudge
Grafter

virus programs

I have been using AVAST free edition for last 3 years with no major problems, miles better than having to pay for a [censored] antivirus

Agreed.

I used N*rt*n up until the (I think) 2003 edition. It then turned into a blue-screen dream on Win98SE, and the auto-update didn'r work either. It's just bloatware now.

I went for AVG first, but that caused a couple of weird little problems which couldn't be ironed out.

I then tried Avast!, and have been with it for 3 1/2 years with no problems at all.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

virus programs

If you want some impartial tests have a look here http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Personally I have switched 3 computers from Norton Internet Security to Kaspersky Intenet Security (KIS) 2006 and the improvement is tremendous.
N/A

Nod32

Nod32 everytime Smiley best AV by far.
N/A

virus programs

To be fair, he said best Virus program, so you should go and look at rootkits and backdoors :p or general malware for that matter [/sic]

Best AV there is is the Symantec Corperate AV - SAV -- gets the highest reviews of any software AV there is, so *shrug*
shellsong
Grafter

virus programs

Symantec AV may be good but it's a resource hogging pain in the butt compared with others close to its capability!

Of course you could change to Linux and be shot of the lot of 'em Wink (just use ClamAV to clean up emails you want to share with those still subscribing to Bill's charitable foundation!)
N/A

virus programs

Its not a resouce hog *goes to check system manager* 38meg of ram used by it, with Firefox runnin at 36meg behind it, so not really that bad.

And linux has a lot of virii too, Clam is good, but there are things it wont pick up.
N/A

virus programs

shellsong - was just about to say the same.. except that Symantec (aka Norton) AV aint got the best detection rates. Kaspersky has the best detection rates for known viruses and Nod32 has best detection of "in-the-wild" viruses (but also very close to Kaspersky in known viruses) and both use very little resources and both scan like the clappers.