cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb

N/A

usb

i have windows xp, and i have problem with usb
the problem is when i connect a usb device such as usb disk drive or mp3 player it will show on my computer then after a while dissapaear so i cannot use it even though its connected, can any1 helpHuhHuh
16 REPLIES
N/A

usb

This could be a power issue. Check in Device Manager, USB hub, Power to check how much each device is drawing.

Normally, only 500Ma is available to each hub. As a hub normally has two ports, it is easy to overload, especially if a USB modem is one of the devices.
N/A

usb

Have you recently installed SP2? This is one of the known post-upgrade problems. Just go into Device Manager, remove the USB drivers, reboot and allow the Found New Hardware Wizard to re-install the drivers. You should then be OK
N/A

usb

If it is SP2-related, as barstewards above, see this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870893
N/A

usb

its certainly nt an sp2 problem because when i uninstalled sp2 the usb flash drive still dnt work, basically when i insert the usb flash drive, it appears for a few seconds then dissaperas, i checked the power levels
i have :
1 usb modem
1 usb mouse
and thts it
2 ports free
i asume power levels are ok
do you know what the problem could be?
there is nothing wrong with the flash drive because same thing happens with other usb flash
Community Veteran

usb

Where are you saying it disappears from?
The task bar? or from "My Computer"?
Or from somewhere else.
N/A

usb

Are the modem and the mouse in adjacent ports, and you are connecting the drive to one of the free ones? I ask because if you are connecting the drive to a port on the same hub as the modem, that is the cause. The modem will be taking all the power available (it's current, really), 500mA.

Once again, look in Device Manager.
N/A

usb

it dissapears from the my computer
and also i have 4 usb ports , 1 modem, 1 mouse and the other i stick in a usb lead
and in that lead i plug in the flash drive
N/A

usb

Do this for me: if there is a Windows key (bottom left) on the keyboard, press this along with 'pause/break' key.

If no Windows key, double-click on System in Control Panel.

Select Hardware tab, Device Manager. Near the bottom you will see Universal Serial Bus controllers. Click on the + to expand.

Click on one of the USB Root Hubs.

1)Click Action, select Properties.

2)Select Power tab. Make a note of the attached devices' details.

3)Select Power Management. If the box 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is checked, uncheck it.

Repeat 1 - 3 on the other Hub.

Let us know the results.
N/A

usb

yep its sorted!
i had 4 usb root hubs and i unchecked all the boxes in the power management nw it working thnks a lot graham!
N/A

usb

Glad you're sorted!
N/A

usb

PM received 'it's not sorted'. Please respond in the forum.

OK, back to Device Manager, Power. Tell us what it says about the connected devices and the power they are drawing.

You say you have 4 ports and 4 hubs. This is not possible.
N/A

usb

PM received:

'no i have only 4 usb ports , bt i used to hve a hub which had 4 usb ports, the modem uses up 500ma and mouse used up 100ma the usb flash stays in my computer for longer than b4!'

Open for discussion, please, I'm weakening, cannot carry on much longer...
N/A

usb

i have come to realise that the problem is not power, the usb flash drive i have is a mp3 player and when the device dissapears from my computer the mp3 player still works while plugged in even though its nt in my computer (it has no battery inside it either), so there is some other problem, can any1 help?Huh
danep
Grafter

usb

Do you have any unknown devices listed in Device Manager?

Regards
Dane