cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ups

N/A

ups

Can anyone give advice concerning a ups. I am just looking for something basic, something just to keep my P.C. alive during a short term power loss.I think my power supply is 350w. Would that affect the amount of VA that they output :?: Smiley
9 REPLIES
N/A

ups

Hi there,

We would tend to favour APC UPS.

For a product configurator for your needs see here
N/A

ups

Thanks for the link. I was thinking more on the line of more basic than that. My problem was that I had momentary power cut that caused my pc to shut down. at the time I was downloading and because it wasn't shut down properly I lost all that I had downloaded. I'm really just looking for something to tide me over that. Something in the region of £100
N/A

ups

APC BACK-UPS HS 500VA 230V

Price: £79.99

NEW! APC Smart-UPS SC 620VA 230V

Price: £129.99

A search on Google will reveal better pricing.

Not sure what you looked at in the link?
holdtight
Grafter

ups

Recommend APC i use one it was cheap enough at £69 and i get 10 mins to shut down if there is a powercut plus the obvious surge protection

i dont understand what you mean by more basic it doesnt really get more basic than that
N/A

ups

It was the configuration page on the link that did me. I ticked all the boxes, processor, hard drives etc,and it came up with items costing £250-£300. Could anyone say whether these backups come with software to shut down any programs that are running when the power goes.
N/A

ups

Ah. Think i see what happened there. Did you select the external devices?

Most of the APC Smart UPS come with Powershute s/w which is quite good though I didnt see that mentioned on the APC site.

Check for that info from the retailer you decide to go with. I have always found it bundled in the box.
N/A

ups

Dunno if you got the info you needed re. shutdown. APC have a Powerchute program which controls graceful shutdown of programs in the event of power loss, this can be set to trigger after say 3 minutes of loss so as to not begin the process over short term glitches in supply and works well. Whether it is bundled with the lower priced/spec UPS I have no idea as I use a 1400 but it is downloadable from the site. Look at Liebert as an alternative and suppliers Staples, Maplin and if you can stomach poor advice, PC World.
N/A

ups

Thanks for all your help. All I have to do now is make a decision :roll:
N/A

ups

P.S,

Just checked and yes, both UPS mentioned come with software included.