cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading motherboard - what happens to data on system disk?

N/A

I know this is probably a daft question but if I replace the motherboard and CPU with ones of a higher spec will doing this affect the data stored on the main system disk? If so, what should I back up to get the system up and running again with minimum hassle?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Any change of mobo can cause data loss so you should back up everything using a good backup application as you can't backup what you need manually - mainly because you probably don't know what files Wndows uses..

Normally your data will be retailed when chaging the mobo but sometimes Windows does not detect the new disk controller hardware and will refuse to boot and give a blue screen stop error. In this situation you will have to reinstall everything from scratch so you will need a full backup if this happens.
holdtight
Grafter

As Peter says when you change your motherboard windows has to detect all the new settings drivers etc and i would always recommend a disk format and windows reinstall when undertaking a major change like this as data can and will be lost

If your hard drive is one large partition you could make two partitions with something like partition magic or there are free alternatives available and back up everything you want to keep onto the second partition then just format C: and reinstall once your new mobo is fitted
N/A

Would it be OK to put this backup on one of the other hard disks?
holdtight
Grafter

Yes that would work just fine then once you have reinstalled add the backed up hard drive to you system on the main ide cable as slave and windows will auto detect it then drag and drop your files back where you want them
shellsong
Grafter

if your OS is XP, you will probably have some hassle because of the M$ activation crap-- if you are running a good Linux distro you will probably only have to wait for it to detect the changed hardware and login as usual! Wink
N/A

OS is XP, but - confession time! - I already upgraded my mobo last year. A big mistake because I installed a low spec one "to save money" and have spent the last year wishing I hadn't been so foolish! Anyway I had no problem then with re-registering XP. I think it has something to do with keeping the OEM hardware that it was installed with - in this case a CD-RW drive.

Let's hope I am as lucky this time.

And thanks for all the advice, everyone.