antec nine hundred case 6 fans
hiper r 580w
asus a8n32-sli deluxe 939
amd 64 x2 4800
2gb corsair xms 3200c2
raid 160gb
gforce 9700gt x2 sli
Q1
up grade or not i was thinking of getting a fx-62 and a psu 730 r hiper then later on get the 8800gtx...
Q2
go for a amd2 m/b ie: Q3gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 amd2 5200 x2 64
or go for a 6600 core 2 duo do not know about the pen m/b

i have built a amd2 for a friend and it fast using the gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 amd2 5200 x2 64 and a 8800gtx
you can use the easy tune 5 very good overclocked to 2934 i only overclock with this not into the bios overclock ..easy to do and no mess lol

they say that the 6600 core 2 duo is fast plese help witch way to go >>>>>
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

upgrade or not

Hi

You do indeed have a very solid system and the only reason for upgrading would be if one part of it was being a bottleneck which it would appear not

Looking at the specs i cant see why you would want to upgrade any of it right now, what do you do with your system that would need it being upgraded ?

One of the main differences between the 5200 x2 and the 4800 you have now is the L2 cache sizes 5200 has 1MB and the 4800 has 2MB but under tests and benchmarking this made little difference in the speed of the processors unless you do a lot of video editing in which case the difference is only slight so with that mind you can save yourself much cash and go for one with the lesser L2 cache

The AMD X2 processors are fast and run very very cool even when being overclocked, my 4200+ x2 is oc`d to 2.5 gig and runs at 34 idle and 39 under heavy load

The core 2 duo`s in benchmark tests are indeed faster than the X2`s but they throw out a lot more heat require more power and are not as overclock friendly but are definately faster

Obviously i cant tell you whether to upgrade or not the choice is yours and looking at your system i cant see the point right now its a very very good setup and the Fx62 is a whole lot of money for what i see as little gain to your system right now

Bill.
Walrus
Grafter

upgrade or not

The core 2 duo`s in benchmark tests are indeed faster than the X2`s but they throw out a lot more heat require more power and are not as overclock friendly but are definately faster

AMD Dual Cores range from 65-110 Watts TDP (depending on the version of the core)
All Core 2 Duo have a TDP of 65 Watts.

It's also a misconception that Core's run hot, the temperature sensor is actually placed closer to the die than all processors before it. The days of the Pentium toaster are gone.

That said, as far as the question of upgrade goes I agree, I don't see the need. Yes the Core is considerably faster, but if your current CPU performs all the tasks you require there is little point.

It's probably prudent to wait for AMDs response to the Core, if you cannot wait that long, buying AMD makes little sense at the moment. There is nothing AMD can offer with the price/performance ratio of the Core.

upgrade or not

In short.... 'not'.
N/A

upgrade or not

thanks all i will wait will 8800gtx work in my system HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?Huh
holdtight
Grafter

upgrade or not

Yes but only to a point and i believe i answered that in this thread