cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update for windows XP

N/A

update for windows XP

hi
i was wondering if i want to do a manual windows update ,after i download the update what folder should i install it to .

because i have a update that fails automatically , so i tried manual but i dont know which folder to install it to .

thanks
22 REPLIES
N/A

On windows updates Ivan

Hello felizardo,

Yes! windows update can be both confusing and annoying IMO, most updates dont give the user much choice as to how or where to install (something I dont like at all myself but that's just typical of Microsoft I feel), nor are you given a remove or uninstall option if like you the installation fails for whatever reason.

**Now assuming you are able to download the required update from MS site and have saved the file to your HDD. You only need to save the update to a folder such as c:\temp or c:\downloads. (if you dont have such a folder already on your drive, just create one via windows explorer). Once you have the update in the folder, run the update concerned bye double clicking on it (assuming its in an .exe file format which they mostly are or should be). You shouldnt need to worry about where the update files go when installing, normally the updates install themsleves into an appropriate folder inside windows itself. Once done the install MIGHT? require you to restart your system inorder for the windows registry to be updated and the update/s to take full effect. Hope the above all makes sense, hope that helps, good luck. :lol:

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

hi

i created the folder as you suggested and saved the exe file there ,later i installed it but when it was installing i got this message (setup cannot copy the file update _SP2QFE.inf).

and below it it says ensure location specified is correct or change it .

i dont know what to do , should i try upgrading windows xp to windows xp pro corp edition SP2 . do you think the problem will be resolved then .

thanks Tongue
N/A

XP SP2 replying Ivan

Hello Again,

No! IMO going for Win XP Pro SP2 corp service pack edition WONT solve this problem for you. This is a strange one I've NOT come across before now. But I have run some MS searches on your behalf and found the following description about .inf files (see enclosed belowSmiley

An information file (.inf) provides installation instructions that the Internet Component Download service provided in Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 or later uses to install and register software components downloaded from the Internet, as well as any files required by the components. The INF file is a text file that specifies the files that need to be present or downloaded for your component to run.

**From my own experience this update should have installed correctly without any problems and No! generally from past experience windows NT or XP service packs DONT Require a special location to install from (your not doing anything wrong yourself as far as I can see). This problem sounds like either a windows XP software related problem of some sort (not sure what though?) or a hardware related problem again at a bit of a loss to be honest with you.

The problem is there just isnt enough error information to go on to diagnose the matter further. Yes! clearly the setup or installation process on your system wants the update (or expects the update) to be installed from a specific location as you said before. I'm trying to work out why it would ask for that in this case.

INF files can be related to installing software for specific hardware like say a printer or modem etc. So if it cannot install a specific componant for certain hardware then that MIGHT be a part of the problem?

**Does the update allow you an uninstall option if yes! try removing SP2?

**REALLY Sorry I'm NOT sure what else I can suggest on this one without more information to go on at this point. Cry

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

thanks mate

hi
i just wanted to say thank you for all ure help , i really do appreciate it. i have one question though. say this install isnt successful then if there are more updates available for the future then will this update stop them from being installed as well . so then will all updates not install successfully or will that not be a problem.

thanks again Smiley
N/A

On SP2 Replying IVan

Hello again felizardo,

First of all I'm really sorry NOT to be able to have helped you further on service pack 2 update. OK! my feeling is this I would go for uninstalling SP2 or carefully deleting this update bye that I mean the .exe file itself, now we both know its NOT going to install successfully on your machine. i.e. Why have it taking up useful hard drive space.

**I think this INF file problem is more likely to be a hardware related issue, IMO I doubte (but I dont know to be completely honest with you) you will have the same problem with other updates in the future.

Here is what I think I would do to test this, remove SP2 update or uninstall it if possible. Go back to MS update website and run the site scan (express or customer) to see what other updates are available. See if any small windows critical updates or security updates are available BUT DONT select SP2 update again if it appears within the listing. Next select just one or two of the smaller updates (based on file size) available and run the download and install, if all goes OK and you have no further problems with INF file errors or installation locations then you will have successfully have proved (In troubleshooting terms!!) that the problem was specificaly SP2 update itself.

**If the above process works smoothly then I dont think you should have any further update problems in future.

**NOTE: SP2 update for XP wasnt like previous service packs anyway, MS admitted themsleves that they had rewritten some of the core windows system files and some major .DLL files in order to further improve XP security. In other words SP2 was much more like a new version or subset of windows XP (i.e. a major change to XP NOT a minor upgrade).

Lots of people had problems with SP2 after it first came out and for this reason I havent bothered to install it myself. I personally cannot see what benefit SP2 offers me at all, its just more Microsoft Bloatware as far as I am concerned and so if its NOT essential to my system I'm NOT going to install it.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
holdtight
Grafter

update for windows XP

There were many people that had similar issues trying to install SP2 onto their systems although this is a new one on me
Some of the later updates wont install now without SP2 already on your system as they have been written especially to cover security issues for that service pack

i would suggest that you go along with Ivans good advice as far as uninstalling goes and then get the SP2 disk either from MS or a friend (if you cant find one PM me your address and ill send you one) and install it from CD as this has cured many installs that have failed from the MS update site
N/A

update for windows XP

I say dont bother with sp2 at all. No need for it
N/A

SP2 XP

Hi,

Personally I'd agree with extreme17 Cool

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

THANKS GUYS

yesterday i uninstalled SP2 from my pc ,but when i turned it on it failed to boot ,so i had to reinstall xp pro using a CD .i got this CD from a mate . but after i installed it i found out that he had disabled some of the features of XP pro edition , i think this is starting to affect my PC. because when i try to browse online it always fails to connect saying it could not find server or some error message , and when i tried to play a game i started getting the worst pings of my life . meaning that i got disconnected everytime and in addition to this i cannot update anymore from the windows website since components are missing i either have to enable them again or i cant update . i am stuck for the moment what do you think i should do because the only problem now is my internet everything else is working fine

Cry Cry Cry
N/A

Replying Re: Wondows XP Pro Ivan

Hello once again,

Frankly NEVER EVER trust a copied CD or attempted copied CD of an actual operating system like XP (linux distributions are a little different but to some degree the same principal still applies). Unless you have the exact correct equipment & software and unless you know "exactly" what your doing, copies of the OS tend to be a complete nightmare (no matter how well meaning your Mate might be). If the CD is missing any files or has damaged files the OS wont be fully complete then you leave yourself open to either a tangle or forever being uncertain why stuff fails to work. If you buy a real copy of the OS your far less likely have such problems, in other words copied software can be more of a diaster or pain than its worth.

If the copied CD isnt from an actual master (legit) copy of the software your definately going to be all over the show, trying fault find or troubleshoot problems is a complete horror from past experience. Using such software is in the end I concluded is an utter waste of time, effort and money.

**My personal advise to you would be to go and buy a copy of Windows XP pro and learn how to install it yourself. Then after installation learn how to lock down your OS inorder to make it far more secure (but stay away or stay off SP2 its a pain you dont need to bother with). **many of the useful critical OS or security updates are available as smaller downloads (most of SP1 infact). Its only a question of trying to decide which updates are worth having and which are utter junk. (I only use the OS or critical updates with XP).

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

update for windows XP

SP2 is seems ok now, besides regardless of whether you like it or not, eventually you'll be forced to install it or the future fixes etc won't work.

As for copies of windows XP, normally they work well. I always backup my original copies, and I've installed from them without any problems.
While I don't condone piracy of any kind, if you going to get a copy, make sure its from a good disk.

It's more likely the version didn't install properly, or you've got a virus / spyware etc on your machine.

Microsoft now also check for legit versions, and won't allow all updates to be installed, only the critical ones. Download the program big-fix and this will help, since it downloads all the fixes for windows-xp and allows you to install them when you want.

Personally I feel XP pro isn't worth the money to buy from new, XP Home is cheaper and there isn't a massive difference between the two.
N/A

update for windows XP

XP Pro is a waste of cash and generally purchased by people who feel the need to have "pro" versions of software because they are marketed by companies as being for "professionals".

As gadget boy says there is not much difference between home and pro so unless you need the features of pro then you are wasting your money.

I have SP2 installed on my pc and has never caused me any issues at all and I don't believe people should be put off installing SP2 just because a few people seem to have issues with Microsoft trying to force updates on them.
Community Veteran

update for windows XP

Windows in general is a waste of cash. For a no OS edition of XP Home it will cost £158.99 from amazon. Compared to linux which you can download for free.

1) Windows is unreliable and prone to crashing, linux is not.
2) Windows is prone to attack by spyware and viruses, linux is not.
3) Windows cannot be adapted to suit your needs you are reliant on Microsoft to release a version of windows that will suit your needs exactly, linux can.

Whilst much software is written for Windows and not linux the more people switch to linux the more windows software will be ported over.
N/A

update for windows XP

Daniel - that is not true, windows is not a waste of cash if a user has a choice between windows & Linux because it is not as black and white as Linux is free and windows costs..

There is no point in me installing Linux if I cant play the latest games, run certain software I have paid for, it makes no sense at all.

I know there is a program (is it called wine) which allows you to run windows software on Linux but as I far as I know it does not give you the same quality or run all programs, is that right?

Also there is the hardware issue, a family can buy a printer , plug it, install the drivers and that's that, it will work with windows.

Certain printers, modems etc, do not work with Linux so that would be either buying new hardware for a Linux system or running a dual boot system which is either more hassle or more money.

I think Linux has a long way to go before it can be seen as an alternative to windows for the majority of people.