Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ultra portablez

jabb0
Grafter

ultra portablez

hey folks,

i am toying with the idea of getting a laptop, ive never had one but have had the pleasure of borrowing a few - and it has to be saud that a couple of kilos dont sound like much till youve walked 10,000 miles.

So id like to get an "ultra portable" - this is obviously not for gaming of any sort, i beleive gaming should take place on a screen size of no less that 19 inches and on a grafix card that needs its own nuclear power plant.

indeed its more for development.

it would be nice if it looked cool, but that neither here nor there really.

anyone know some good shops, i have got a few bookmarks but no great selection sems to be available in any one place Sad

help much apreciated
11 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

ultra portablez

You fancy ultraportable? I'll show you ultraportable! Tongue

Zaurus SL-C3200 http://trisoft.de/en_slc3200.htm -- my son's got the earlier SL-C3000 and it's an exquisite piece of engineering that really works brilliantly! Cool

Not everyone's cup of tea though Wink
jabb0
Grafter

ultra portablez

was lookin for jus a lil tad bigger Tongue

however thats pretty frickin cool, top marks for originality there man Cheesy

and a few bonus marks for the linux install Wink
grimme
Grafter

ultra portablez

I've used the SL-5500 and SL-6000, both very nice as an alternative PDA but agreed too small for a Windows Ultra-portable.

If you're happy to try buying one from e-bay, the Sharp MM1110 (it might be one 1 too many), 10.4" screen, Transmeta Crusoe running at 1GHz, 15gb HDD, 256mb ram (not upgradeable) requires external DVD/CD, weight 950g!! Seen them go for around £300-£400.

It's a bit slow compared to current models, but for general business use it's OK.

For something a bit faster, there's the Toshiba R200, with a 12" screen and weight around 1KG, or a Dell X1 - both will probably be over a grand though!

If you need a built in DVD/CD, the small Sony's with 10" or 11" screens are fine and weigh around 1.3KG, but more expensive, likewise the Panasonic W series.

HTH
shellsong
Grafter

ultra portablez

@grimme

I'd agree about the SL-5500 and SL-6000 (we've got a SL-5500 lying around) but the SL-C3000 series are a different kettle of fish altogether and thoroughly usable if your eyesight doesn't demand a large screen. The keyboard can be used at surprising speed and accuracy unless your fingers are very fat and clumsy-- touch typing is quite feasible.

They run Linux as standard so if you absolutely must use Windows applications you would have to use Wine
grimme
Grafter

ultra portablez

Must admit, I did toy with the idea of replacing the SL-6000 with one of the clamshell ones, but went off in on a different avenue and got an MDA Pro. (Windows mobile 5 JasJar clone).

I still think the screen on the SL-6000 is one of the best PDA type screens out though.
shellsong
Grafter

ultra portablez

As far as PDA/phone is concerned I'm quite pleased with my Treo 650, particularly now I've got a 1GB SD card and TomTom on it! Cheesy
grimme
Grafter

ultra portablez

I did have a Treo 600 a couple of years ago and really liked it. I did find Orange's internet access charges a bit on the high side. On t-mobile, the web part of web-n-walk can be ordered for 7.50 per month for 40mb, that and the wi-fi was behind my decision to go for the MDA Pro.

Now there is a Treo 700 available in USA that's based on the windows Mobile OS and it has wifi!

Why they couldn't keep the Palm OS and add wifi, I don't know?
shellsong
Grafter

ultra portablez

They've been promising a Linux version with the ability to run PalmOS apps but instead they cripple it with Windows! :roll:
N/A

ultra portablez

N/A

ultra portablez

shellsong
Grafter

ultra portablez

The Alienware is nice-- how about the Samsung Q35 as well! Nice long battery life Cool