cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*.tmp !

N/A

*.tmp !

Hello
I'm trying to delete a batch of .tmp files in the Windows/temp folder, when the message says write protected I remove the tick. This make no difference!

Can someone explain how I can remove these files please...

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
N/A

*.tmp !

Reboot your computer system, and use the Disk cleanup tool.

Start -> programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

Let it scan your drive which may take up a lot of time depending on how fragmented your drive is, and the volume of files it needs to scan.

Untick everything, but leave "Temporary files" ticked (tick if needed).

Any files that remain undeleted are in use, and should be left behind. They should be possible to delete after the next reboot, however, it is likely a case that windows will have created more.
N/A

*.tmp !

That was the first thing I did!
I just rebooted to safe mode and tried deleting using DOS, with no luck! These files are read only locked despite me removing the Read Only tick in properties; has anyone got anymore idea's please...
the_norris
Grafter

*.tmp !

Might need to removed the 'system' Attribute too.
Community Veteran

*.tmp !

'write protected' when deleting usually means the file is currently in use by an application, as such you can't delete the file until the app has terminated or no longer requires the file.

Many apps use temporary files when running and this is a protection mechanism in windows to stop any data being corrupted/lost by the in-use file being deleted when the app is running.

Either stop any apps running then try and delete the file or just ignore it and delete the rest. Normally you can delete any files in windows safe mode if you really want to delete them.
N/A

*.tmp !

I have taken note of what you said; but mate I have tried everything, as I have already said I tried Safe Mode and even used the old DOS commands those files don't want to go. Although they are not causing a problem; but they are bugging me!
N/A

*.tmp !

download either "tracks eraser" or "evidence eliminator".
Or download Microsofts new anti spyware program, this contains a tracks eraser tool built in.
These above programs will delete all temp files on your HD including the ones in the windows/temp folder.
If they can't be deleted when the program runs, then the program may prompt you to reboot, so that it can delete the temp files upon the next boot into windows, It will stop any processes running that still use these temp files, then it will delete them.

Another good program is "system mechanic", that one cleans out the registry of rubbish keys, settings, etc.