cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there are currently no logon servers available....

Stew

Help!

I am having a very frustrating time trying to set up my first network. Help is desperately needed!

I have a WIndows XP PC connected via Ethernet to a Belkin ADSL Modem with built-in wireless router. All works wonderfully with the PC.

I have a Windows2000 Professional Laptop from work, into which I have plugged a USB wireless adaptor, and this enables me to access the Plus.Net Broadband connection with no problems. So far so fantastic.

I now want to be able to access files on the laptop from the PC, and vice versa.

Note that due to restrictions from work I have no really powers to alter the configuration of the laptop, and can't even log on locally but must log on to my work domain.

After various amounts of fiddling, I can now connect to the laptop from the PC, (via "My Network Places" and logging on using my work username/password) and hence access any directories that I have shared....still so far so fantastic.

However, when attempting to access the PC from the laptop.....

If I go through "My Network Places", "Entire Network", "Microsoft Windows Network" on the laptop, I can select the workgroup I have created on my PC from "System Properties", "Computer Name" , "Change". I can then see the full name of the computer (again created from "System Properties").

It is when I click on the ComputerName that I get the following error message:

"there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

I am really struggling to work out how to move on from this.

Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Stew
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi when you log on to the Laptop does it ask you to log on to a domain i.e your work network.

If it gives you a drop down option to log on to "this computer" that is what you need.

If I am reading you correctly the lappy thinks it is logging on to your work domain, hence it cant find your home network.
Stew

Thanks for the suggestion, but my work have locked the laptop down pretty tight, and am not able to logon locally, only our system administrators are able to....pretty frustrating!
N/A

Hi Stew,

If I had read your post correctly I would have seen that you had explained that.

Thats the second time today I have done that. Senility must be creeping up.

Soz for wasting your time.
Stew

FIXED IT!!!

Very pleased to say that I have just managed to crack this, albeit it an obsure way. Am posting the solution on off chance somebody else may need it.

Solution was to enter "net use \\computername /user:username" on my Win2K laptop, where the computername is the XP computer I am trying to connect to.

Connecting through file explorer "My Network Places" etc does now work, albeit is took a while and initially I had to manually map a drive in File Explorer. Did this through "Tools", "Map network drive" and entering "\\computername\share" in the Folder field.

Wahey!!!

Credit to http://hidev.com/technical/workgroupnet.htm which had the solution.
N/A

Excellent.

Glad your sorted and great tip.