cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

testing memory

N/A

testing memory

i have some spare memory that i pulled out of my old computer, its motherboard died, i'm wondering if i can test the memory to see if its still good and if its not will it cause any problems to the new system?

Just to clarify but my old comps graphics card broke and blew the motherboard so i bought a new one off ebay. Since the ram is out of the old moterboard i thought i might be able to add it to new comp but i dont want to add it if its going to break the new comp Smiley. So am i safe to do this?
9 REPLIES
N/A

testing memory

Is the memory of the same type as your new computer? Do have any spare slots in the your new computer?
N/A

er

well i haven't really got the new comp yet but the specs are
256MB DDR PC2100 on the ASRock K7S41GX motherboard a qui
ck google shows this has 2 x DDR DIMM.
Assuming the 256mb is in one chip (which is probable right?) but as to the old memory it is the K4H280838B-TCB0 which is DDR 256 mb
N/A

testing memory

But there are different types of memory such as PC100, PC2100, PC3200. Even if they were the same size, their configuration, memory speed etc could be different. Unless you know this old memory is PC2100 I wouldn't bother.

Incorrect memory at the very least will stall your new computer, as the worst it'll damage your motherboard. In addition if your luck enough to get the computer to start, and the memory is incorrect, then applications will crash and you may get BSOD.

Better to buy some extra ram from cruical Wink
Community Veteran

testing memory

If the mobo uses DDR memory and your old memory is DDR then it will be fine. The old memory is also PC2100 speed (266MHz) and is a CL2.5 device.

And if you really want to test it use either memtest86+ or the original memtest86.
N/A

c this is my problem

This is the dilemma;
If i put the memory in and it works and the memtest (which i would do) is fine then amazing 512kb of memory kick ass.
If it breaks the mobo then i'm stuck without a computer until i go to uni in 2 years so heres the killer question
What are the risks of installing the new memory? Is it possible that it will break the new mobo?

EDIT: Just looked at the memory and i typed the ref out incorrectly K4H280838C-TCB0 - quick google shows this still to be PC2100
Community Veteran

testing memory

It will either work or not but the risks of it damaging the mobo are almost nil. It is the same type (DDR DIMM), the same size, speed and voltage so if it does not work then the chances are it died with the old mobo.

In all the messing about with hardware, I have never known memory to fail with a mobo, even when the PSU dies and takes both the mobo and CPU with it. So there is a very high chance you will have 512MB of memory soon.
N/A

testing memory

If it's PC2100 then, yes it will work.
N/A

peter thanks :))

thanks peter Smiley
Here's something interesting i bet you've never heard this before Smiley.
This is how my old comp broke (just to tell you in case the memmory could have broken as well)
First thing i noticed was that their was no visual display on the monitor.
But it booted up fine ( as far as i could tell)
Checked monitor not monitor.
So first thoughts were graphics card.
Took my graphics card down to shop to be tested and the grahpics card blew their computer out ( they told me it wouldnt boot up either Sad )
So I assumed my mobo had died (even though it seemed odd to me :/ )
In this situation its unlikely that the memory has died then?
N/A

testing memory

Just make sure you earth yourself, before opening up the box Wink