Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system crash, chip only runs at fsb 100

N/A

Just looking for a little confirmation really that 'you get what you pay for'

recent system build
xp2400+ kt4v cheap 512 ram (this is i believe the problem).

I have logged elsewhere about system restarts, hanging issues (probably partly caused by usb modem using mobo port).
i have disconneted adsl and carried out further testing.

system still falls over on regular basis,
i cannot speed the chip to normal speed (15*111 is the best it will run at before falling over).
I have read in other forums that cheap memory can cause these sort of problems - solution is to stop being a cheapskate and save some money in the long run and buy decent memory (crucial seems to get good write-ups).

Just like to know if anyone come across the same issues and the solution is valid.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Are you saying you have changed the FBS from the normal 100 or 133 to higher in the bios and its crashing or not booting? As that is over clocking and unless you know what you are doing will do more harm than good.

You never OC a new system, use an old one to learn what to do or you will end up with a nice burnt out motherboard. With no chance of a replacement as you broke the warranty. anyway cheap ram should never be over clocked, best to keep the bios settings at default or optimised but dont push them any further. You have to pay for good ram that you can push.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Going up in incremental steps on the FSB also alters the PCI bus speed (not being able to directly subdivide). Something on your PCI bus could also be faulting at 111mhz ( 37Mhz PCI, spec is 33Mhz)
Everything has to be capable of running at 133 FSB, if your memory is poor or not spec'd for 133 then it will not run. Some Mobo's prefer ceratin memory brands. Crucial memory does not work well in some boards.
N/A

Apologies i forgot to mention,

mobo default is 100 in bios
so chip only runs at 15*100 by default of mobo.
the chip default should be 15*133.
N/A

Yes, generic brand memory (the type you buy from a market, or you thought was a bargain from the PC shop) can cause all sorts of havok.

My sugestion would be to use the Crucial memroy selector, available on dabs.com.

Purchase the memory from dabs, you can return it claiming that a purchase order for the wrong memory was used, if this fails (I use this trick all the time).
N/A

The Microstar KT4V should handle a 2400+ CPU with ease. It should autodetect and require no settings in the BIOS on FSB, multiplier or anything else to run at its rated speed.
Reset the CMOS to default (using battery jumper) and reboot. If the system recognises the CPU correctly in the boot screen but will not boot to Windows, then memory is the prime suspect.
N/A

Sems this board has known issues a good start is

http://www.bosamar.com/KT4V/Problems.html
N/A

thanks for all info, much appreciated.
My system does indeed seem to run a little hot,
but having read some reviews of the purchased memory (e-buyer), other people have had the same problem.
I have run a ram utility checker and it does indicate a problem.
I have ordered some new memory and will update once installed and run for a while.
N/A

issue has been resolved.
The memory was bad.
replaced and everything now appears to run fine.
cpu up to default speed,
happy again.

thanks all for comments.