N/A

speed up firefox

go here and follow the instructions it's worked for me

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1299854/posts
11 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

speed up firefox

And Firetune for firefox is a speedup tool too although imho neither make enough difference to
notice but ive used both
N/A

speed up firefox

done and it has speeded up a fraction, it could be only really beneficial to those of us with slower computers
N/A

speed up firefox

I think I might be missing something here,

But I am using firefox 1.5RC3 and err upon trying to complete step 1. Type "about.config" into the address bar and hitting return by default firefox adds http://www. into the equasion so what happens then is it searches for

http://www.about.config/ and well off course, I get an error page.

Would someone sort of guide a dumb shmuck through this bit lol

regards,
N/A

speed up firefox

A simple mistake to make, its about:config not about.config

or for the visually impaired it is about<colon>config not about<fullstop>config.
Community Veteran

speed up firefox

I found the best way to speed firefox up was to install Opera!! Tongue

Sorry I couldn't resist! Smiley
N/A

speed up firefox

Ok tell me about Opera, my word I'm going to end up with a full PC that constantly crashes because it will be overloaded with browsers, firewalls, anti virus, anti spyware, anti adware, PC repair programmes ................
N/A

speed up firefox

There is also some other browser on the way called Seamonkey. Sprouting like .... sprouts these things.
N/A

speed up firefox

let me now post an apology to my computer, sorry Hal
N/A

speed up firefox

Seventhstar I have and my word how fast?
Community Veteran

speed up firefox

@marchoghh
Cool Cool
Check out this link for some tips:-click me

Take your time and customise just about everything to your taste.

The mouse gestures is the bomb for me. Operas mouse gestures work so much better than Fire Fox imo.
I use an Logitech MX series mouse with 8 configurable buttons, (I open most page links in a new "Tab" by right click hold and drag down, then release) I then assigned one of the mouse buttons to close current "Tab". Also assigned one to close "Application" (close browser). It just makes browsing a breeze once you get it setup right. Once you get used to using it you never wanna go back! Wink )

One of my favourite features is "Notes". You can highlight any text on a web page and right click>select: "Copy to Note". This will add that text to your notes, which you will find in "Panels" You can double click these anytime, and you will be taken to the relevent page where you copied the text from. Brilliant way to keep track of small interesting quotes you find on the net! Smiley

Another cool addition is a built in News feed reader (RSS/XML etc) Smiley

Try holding Ctrl key and scrolling mouse wheel.........................nice zoom eh? Wink

Find in page search= cool! Cool

Password wand= cool da cool Cool

Also use your own made or other users buttons, for example I use: open in firefox button "InFF" and open in Internet Explore "InIE". Add these to where you like in the browser toolbars, then if you have some probs or other viewing a web page, a simple click on one of these opens the page you are viewing in the IE or Fire Fox browser. Nice and quick, nice and simple! Smiley
Do a Google for "opera inie" or "opera inff", you should find them.

Heres a cropped pic of mine (Ignore the part under the toolbars: I didn't crop it very well hehe):-

There are loads more things for you to explore. Check out links in the "Opera Software" folder in "Bookmarks" for a start.

Have fun.
N/A

speed up firefox

Most of these tools that speed up browsers are bases around link-loading.

That is where they see the links on a page, and begin to download content before you even ask it to.

The net result is that you download up to 100 times more data than you need to, and put massive strain on servers.

New tools are being produced to ban browsers that use these speed up plugins - quite rightly too!