speed problems

N/A

speed problems

im having a few problems with the speed of my computer
it runs quite slow
the specification is amd athlon xp 2400+, 256mb ram and win xp
its defragmented, no viruses, no adware and no spyware
for example it takes like 5 mins to fully load at startup
this is to my knowledge unacceptable, but cant understand the cause of this problem
can anyone help?
17 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

speed problems

Has it always been slow or is it a recent change? If it has changed, how has it changed? Has it slowed down after installing some new software or hardware, or has it been gradual? What applications are you running?

Your processor is basic by current standards but still plenty fast enough for most purposes. 256Mb of memory is a bit minimal for running XP, however, as it is very memory hungry. You might find that adding some more will make a big difference to the speed. 512Mb is good, 1Gb even better.

When it is starting up do you get lots of stuff appearing on the taskbar next to the clock? If so you can make startup faster by preventing some of those applications running. Try here for instructions http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
N/A

speed problems

i think it has always been this slow,
when i run ad-aware and spyware i get 0 infections, and no viruses also,
i also have diskeeper running
i have 80 gb hard disk and 50gb is used up
i think there is enough memory and there are onli 2 programs tht load on startup, i think it must be background processes, i have 47 proceses running at the moment
so what do u think
N/A

speed problems

Diskeeper is a tad resource-intensive from experience, though I don't have such an issue as all my machines have a minimum f 1Gb RAM.
MarkAngel
Grafter

speed problems

Personally I recommend that you crank up the memory to at least 512, memory is relatively cheap enough these days.

However I think the core of the problem is the current state of your build.
I've come across PC's like that before and the only solution that will be of any use to you is to wipe the PC and re-build it, you will then be amazed at the new lease of life injected into it.

My Boot up time is around 20 seconds (well up to password section), then another 10 seconds or so after that, so you are defiantly in problem town...

The ball ache comes with all your data, (unless you have separate partitions on your PC, recommended), this needs to be saved elsewhere to be re-stored after re-build. (if you've got the cash and the space a second HD is a must, for oh so may reasons..).

Mark
Denzil
Grafter

speed problems

I suggest you add another 256Mb first, giving you 512Mb in total, and see what difference it makes. That is a fairly cheap and easy thing to try, and might just sort it for you. If you are not happy with that, and given you have minimal applications running and no adware etc then try Mark's idea. It will be a bit time consuming as you need to back up all your data then reformat he hard drive and reinstall Windows (assuming you have a proper installation CD and not just recovery CD's) and then reinstall all your other software. He is right in that there could be something odd about the way Windows was installed or set up.
N/A

speed problems

yh thank you guys i am thinking the same thing because i built this computer myself so i must've done something wrong
is it possible to partition the hard disk without formatting it?
MarkAngel
Grafter

speed problems

It is possible with programs such as Partition Magic...and the like...

Is your PC set up for Networking, Can you connect to a Mates PC and dump it all accross until the format is completeHuh Possibly back up Essentials to DVD...if you have one or access to "borrow" one.

I'd defo recommend more memory, it wont cure your current problem but it will make the machine run that much better.

Good luck.
LiamM
Grafter

speed problems

Yep. Agreed. Memory is more important than a fast CPU in my opinion.

I would rather have an Athlon 1800+ with 1Gb RAM, than an Athlon 3000 with 128 or 256Mb RAM.

As it happens I have an Athlon 3200 with 1Gb RAM, so I get the best of both worlds Smiley
N/A

speed problems

thx 4 help i will try the solutions provided
N/A

speed problems

Its also worth noting that your spy detector may be missing some thing.

I have to say though that i usualy totaly clean my comp every 6 months or so.
Re-installing windows etc ..
If you want to do the same but also have a lot of software etc would be a pain to reinstall get a decent backup program .. Wipe yer pc once and instaoll all your bits n bobs then take a drive image to back up from when you feel a clean is required
N/A

speed problems

but theres nothing wrong with 256mb of ram. I used to run a Counter-Stike server on my machine while playing on it at the same time while running a web server with php and mysql and a mail server. without any problems or slowdowns. The only issue was i was on 512 broadband which caused higher pings.
N/A

speed problems

exactly i think 256 mb ram is fine
for example sumtimes the led hard disk light stays on for a long time
like something is loading but nothing is loading , the computer is doing something but i dont know wht, it certainly aint a virus or spyware
like once it took 10 mins from logging in to actually run a program, the computer was doing something but everything was loaded!
N/A

speed problems

Probably startup item running/loading up in the background , I have built a few xp machines for people with 256mb ram and they booted up fine and fast . Once they have had them for a few months they moan how it has slowed down and it is always the bloatware programs they have put on trying to run in the background all the time that it is slowing them down , but 512mb as said would be better 768mb is a nice sweet spot though and memory is cheap at the moment .

use windows system configuration utility , startup tab to stop programs from starting up and running in the background .

(Start , help ,tools should get you to the scu)
N/A

speed problems

I'd start by switching off the diskkeeper and any other unnecessary programs that are running during startup. You could run Boot Log analyser to what's running. Also use the startup editor to adjust what programs are included during startup.

Press F8 during boot and choose safe mode, if it loads much faster then I'd guess that you have stuff ur starting during bootup that you dont need.

Memory Checking:
When in windows check how much RAM you're using. You can do this by pressing ctrl+alt+del and clicking on Task Manager. Click on the Performance Manager tab. What do you have for:

Physical Memory (K)
Total :
Available :
System Cache :

and

Commit Charge (K)
Total :
Limit :
Peak :

and

Across the bottom it says CPU Usage and Mem Usage, what your values for them as well?

The guy with 20s bootup time, how do u manage that? My new pc needs about that long to detect the drives on SATA RAID (only 1 drive) nevermind showing the Use Log On screen! ;-)