cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some1 recommend me a wireless router plz

Jeni
Grafter

i hope ive put this on the right forum! at the moment i have a wired network with the cable going through a hole in my ceiling to the 2nd computer upstairs so i want to go wireless.
my computer downstairs is next to the master phone socket so im thinking i dont need to connect that 1 wirelessly so its just the upstairs computer and a friends laptop when he brings it round, the laptop already has a card for wireless connection. we dont want to get the usb wireless dongle so are looking at an internal pci card for the upstairs computer.
now the part i am having the most problems with is choosing the router! we use the internet for gaming and browsing but not really any filesharing. i dont have a massive amount to spend but want to get the best for my money, am looking at £100 most for all equipment. i would like to get info from the router like my line stats etc and altho atm i wont understand it i think its the best way to learn about it lol
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Two that I have used are

1 D-link 604T which died recently but was good when it was working.

2 Belkin F5D7632 which is working fine at the moment (£55 from PC world so may be cheaper elseware)
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Netgear DG834GT
Linksys WAG54GS
Community Veteran

NetGear DG834G(T)
TFC
Grafter

I have just replaced a DG834G with an DG834PN... what a difference, highly recommended
N/A

NetGear DG834G(T)

Somewhat hit and miss in terms of reliability and stability - and a bit too propriety Smiley (although no problems here). How about the DG834G ?
have just replaced a DG834G with an DG834PN... what a difference, highly recommended

If you want to take advantage of the wireless speeds offered by the PN, then you will need to buy netgear PN client adaptors as well. If you don't need to share files at high speeds locally, then stick with the ratified "G" stuff.
TFC
Grafter

The PN works very well with B or G adaptors, I have mot upgraded them and they are fine...
I was referring to the performance and stability of the router as a whole.
Jeni
Grafter

thanks for all your advice, ive gone with the DG834PN, was on a special offer in pc world (was the cheapest i could find it online surprisingly) £99 and a range max usb adapter included.

if i had decided to just get a few of the usb thingymajigs i could have saved myself some money as it would appear someone near me has a completely open unsecured wireless connection lol :twisted:
N/A

How about ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-61?

ZyXel Makes very robust ADSL modem routers. The prestige 660HW-61 offers very good performance/cost ratio. It handles P2P applications extremely well, and also has a very good Command Line Interface, which allows you to fine tune your router at a very low level. The only downside is that it does not have a detachable arial, but this can be solved by going for a higher model, such as Prestige 662HW-61.
N/A

.... are looking at an internal pci card for ....

Beware of the fixed nature of a PCI Wireless card!
Because its fixed into your machine, interferance can be harder to eliminate.
I chose to use a USB product just because its more flexible in terms of locating it to get the best signal.
The one I went for is here
Picture
Not saying the PCI is a bad idea, I have installed quite a few of them in the past, but it could be worth reconsidering the USB option, depending on how your machine is sited upstairs.
Jeni
Grafter

well the router we got came bundled wth a usb dongle so we ar eusing that atm, i hadnt thought about interference problems tbh with u, so maybe we have got the best option now. my main worry was it falling out but the way its attatched this cant happen.
N/A

if i had decided to just get a few of the usb thingymajigs i could have saved myself some money as it would appear someone near me has a completely open unsecured wireless connection lol :twisted:

This could be very useful if your plusnet connection goes down and you need a backup :twisted: