cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I replace NTE5 faceplate to improve SNR margin

N/A

Hi there

This could be a bit off topic but I think many other people could be affected so heres hoping. I have a voyager205 and my lines stats are poor - SNR margin is only 6db (average, yes thats six db) - and its a lot more unstable in the recent hot weather. The 205 is normally plugged into an extension socket about 15m from the master socket (which is wired from the master socket).

Luckily I have an NTE5 master socket at the end of BTs twisted pair direct from the street so I have plugged the 205 into the test socket behind the faceplate to locate the fault. This test showed that the SNR margin increased to 10db - not a lot but quite a bit better than 6db. This shows that the error could be the extension cabling or the connections. To eliminate the cabling I plugged the 205 into the socket on the front of the NTE5 faceplate the SNR margin reverted to the previously bad 6db.

This tells me that its not my extension cabling thats a problem, its the NTE5 faceplate itself. This is because the faceplate plugs directly into the test socket behind the faceplate (there is no cabling between).

Therefore my options are:

1. to replace the NTE5 faceplate with another (superior) version
2. to replace the NTE5 faceplate with an NTE5 ADSL filter faceplate (to split the adsl and telephone lines at source)

I am not sure which option to go for. I dont think option #2 is particularly helpful because I dont want to permanently plug my 205 into the front of the NTE5 ADSL faceplate because this is in my hallway and would be in the way. My ideal solution would be #1 assuming I can get a superior veriosn (better quality connections).

Im pretty sure my testing is correct and te problem is the existing NTE5 faceplate. Ive tested the 205 with both the test socket behind the faceplate and the socket on the front of the faceplate and the SNR margins are quite different.

Can anyone advise on the best option?

Thanks
Mark
1 REPLY
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Do you have any wires connected to the back of the face plate. If you have it may well be a ring wire problem.
Have a look here for an explanation http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php