cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sharing internet connection

Andrea2006
Grafter

I am looking to share my internet connection with 2 pcs, one upstairs, one downstairs. I am on 2mb premium account.
How do i get started?
Do i buy a router, if so , what kind?
What else do i need?
Thanks Cheesy
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You will need a router for that

One of the most popular routers is the Netgear DG834, have a look at http://www.netgear.co.uk/routers_adsl_broadband_wireless.php?type=h

Its around 50-60 and IMO its good value for all the features on it and it is very reliable.

You can either run cables between the router and the computers or you can use a wireless network depending on your preference, distance between the router and the PCs etc.
Andrea2006
Grafter

so is the router all i need? Cheesy
Walrus
Grafter

You need a:-

1) modem
2) router
3) network cards
4) cabling (or wireless router and cards in (2) & (3))

Herein the confusion starts.

Many, but not all routers contain modems, check and make sure it's the correct type (probably ADSL, I assume you are on PN broadband). Routers can also be wired or wireless, typically wired ones contain 4 port hubs for connecting cables.

Not all routers are created equal. Many extra features can be bundled in, but typically a firewall is included.

Network cards for most modern PCs are built into the motherboard, but again it's worth checking.

First off, you need to make the decision of whether you are going wireless or wired. Wired connections have the obvious disadvantage of needing wires! Typically wiring is RJ45 Cat 5e or 6 cable and sockets. If you have a long stretch to wire, you can buy drums of cable, which is oft cheaper than buying a long cable or 2 (bear in mind you will have to attach the connectors yourself).

Wireless brings its own set of issues, you need to be sure the wireless solution has the range and bandwidth you require. Newer wireless models have 'MIMO' technology enabling greater throughput at range. Also check with wireless that it supports security features such as WPA and preferably WPA2.

Of course you can blow all this out of the water if you decide to simply use Windows Internet Connection sharing. The only requirement there is running a single wire from one PC to another (or an ad-hoc wireless connection). You also don't need a router (the software acts as one). However bear in mind with this solution, the PC physically connected to the internet *must* always be on when the other PC requires internet access.

Sorry for the long post, I don't intend to confuse, only present all the options!
N/A

just to add if you want to do the networking thing a good tutorial on how to get started is here

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/