cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

share directorys over the net?

N/A

I got one of my partitions is my home directory as in my documents..

I want to be able to view my documents via the web and download it or view via a next PC

I have a webserver setup and my internet files is on a different partitions..how do i link up in the page so that i can view all my documents?
8 REPLIES
N/A

What OS/ What Webserver?

if you just want it in a lan, setting up file sharing (SMB) would be the best way to do it. If you want to do it from over the internet, the simplest would be setting up an FTP server as well (www.guildftpd.com for a good free one) as this will allow you to set up different paths to share. If you have to do it via the web acccess, you could try creating a shortcut to the folder you want to share and move it into the /htdocs area. that may work, i dunno if you will have to chmod the folder though.
N/A

Im using windows xp pro n installed and configured IIS
N/A

you only need to map a drive
net use p: \\yourip address\sharename

or
net use p: \\yourip\drive$

Everyone else in the world can do this as well
N/A

wont work, it uses netbios and thats blocked outside of the lan on plusnet due to virii using open network shares to spread.
N/A

If you use hamachi ( http://www.hamachi.cc/ ), you can create a tunnel between 2 (or more) computers so they appear to be on the same network.

I use it to access my home computer from the office. At its simplest, it just allows you to access shared directories over it, but you can also use it to run VNC or other remote access programmes.

Because of the way it sets the connection up through a mediation server, it doesn't need any special configuration of your router.

Might be worth a try.
N/A

FTP is still the best way :p
N/A

how do i setup ftp on my machine ?

you know any reccomended sites.for setup using win xp pro?
N/A

btw i managed to get directory browsing of my documents..i can view all my documents..but when i click on the files i get access denied...can it not be a way that wen i click on the files it asks me to log in and then execute the file?