Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up utorrent

xblade
Grafter

setting up utorrent

I tried to follow the Computeractive (issue 224) item on downloading bittorrent

I am have the following error message when trying to install and setup the download program: Error! Port 41384 does not appear to be open.

I use a router (unbranded) to connecy to the internet

Can anyone guide me on getting the correct port number/configeration to allow the bittorent to communicate with the correct port

I am a bit clueless with this type of thing

Thanks for any advice
Simon
9 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

setting up utorrent

In utorrent, click on Options, Preferences , Connection and you will see the port number you have chosen to use.
From what you post, you seem already to have chosen port 41384, which will do fine.

This now needs to be "forwarded" on your router, and to tell you how to do this, we need to know the make and model of your router. There is no such thing as a generic router where universal instructions will apply.

Here is the guide to forwarding ports once you know what your router is.
Examine it all around and underneath to see if you can find a model number. Google on that model number and it should hint at the manufacturer.

There are so many different ones that I'd be surprised if choosing a random one from the list works.
xblade
Grafter

setting up utorrent

hi
thanks for your reply

I cannot find make or model of the ethenet router

It seems to have a serial number s/n 1215519 or 0. Not sure if this helps?

The port number was selected by utorrent when I loaded it and when asked to test it, then it repoted an error as above; so I suppose it will not work

Is there any other option for getting this port number

sorry if I am not helping with correct info

Thanks for your assistance

simon
Alecto
Grafter

setting up utorrent

You need to know the model of the router before you can find out how to forward the port. That one that utorrent has chosen is OK.

Go to the control panel and click on Network Connections to show your LAN.
Double click on the LAN and select the Support tab (that's in Win XP anyway)
This will show a Default Gateway - something like 192.168.0.1. or 10.0.0.2

Publish that here and somebody may recognise it as belonging to their router - and yours may be the same.
All I can think of.
xblade
Grafter

setting up utorrent

Hi Geoff

The default gateway for my router is 10.0.0.2, so if anyone does recoginse this and can give me the make and model of my router I will be grateful

I will try to test if it is working in the meantime. As I am completely new to this program, then I may be here a while ha ha!
Thanks for your help

Simon
Alecto
Grafter

setting up utorrent

Simon
Is its picture on this page?
May be the speedtouch 330?
If it is the speedtouch, that's a modem not a router and doesn't need port forwarding.
The problem then will be in your software firewall. You will need to tell the firewall to let utorrent through (try disabling the software firewall first and see if utorrent works then).

Or if I remember, my Origo/Safecom router had that address, so if it is a router you could try that.

If it's not there, you could always post a picture of it on the forum under the heading: Does anyone recognise this modem/router?
xblade
Grafter

setting up utorrent

Hi Geoff

Nope. Had a look through list of speed touch models and could not find it there

It is most frustrating

Utorrent seems not to be connecting either, so I will have to keep trying and searching

thanks
simon
xblade
Grafter

setting up utorrent

Hi Geoff

The utorrent seemd to be working now. I followed the computeractive workshop to download Open office and it worked and at an incredible speed!!

So it seems the port number is ok; as you said. Thanks

Just one question then. It seems I had to point an url in the address bar ie open office, then the utorrent downloaded the program

What happens if you are using a platform like imesh. How does utorrent then download the files selected in this program or should I now be doing something different?

Thanks for advice
Simon
Alecto
Grafter

setting up utorrent

Looks as though you have a modem then. Don't know why it didn't work before.

With torrents, you just click on the link and it does it all for you.
You can set uttorent not to start the download till you say, in case you don't want to download every file in a torrent.
xblade
Grafter

setting up utorrent

Hi Geoff

Thanks for your help and guidance, it was very helpful

Will learn as I go along as well

Thanks
Simon