cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up dns for an exchange mail server

N/A

I have exchange server 2000 running on top of windows advance server 2000. can you advise me on how to set up my DNS records internally and externally on the plus net site, do I need an MX record setting up or is the A record enough?

My domain name is m-u-m-s.co.uk. When setting up my inteernal dns server do I use the static IP address supplied to me by plus net or the IP address of the router or the IP address of the host server? when setting up the A / MX records on the plus net site do I use the IP address of my router?

Thanbks for your help
3 REPLIES
N/A

In the Domain Control Panel, at the top [in the 'Mail settings' area] you need to choose the SMTP option. This way any emails for the domain are sent to the mail server which is operating at your IP address.

You may also need to open/forward the necessary ports in your router [port 25 I think].
N/A

you shouldnt need to touch your internal dns as in win2k its dynamic so it will be done automaticly.
N/A

Re: setting up dns for an exchange mail server

I have exchange server 2000 running on top of windows advance server 2000. can you advise me on how to set up my DNS records internally and externally on the plus net site, do I need an MX record setting up or is the A record enough?

My domain name is m-u-m-s.co.uk. When setting up my inteernal dns server do I use the static IP address supplied to me by plus net or the IP address of the router or the IP address of the host server? when setting up the A / MX records on the plus net site do I use the IP address of my router?

Thanks for your help