cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up ICS with Binatone ADSL500

N/A

Where am I going wrong? I am trying to set up ICS between my PC (host PC) and my husband's PC (Client) We are both running Windows XP (service pack 1). I have the Binatone USB ADSL500 installed on my PC, and have a Netgear Fast Ethernet Switch connected to both PCs via Ethernet cards and cables.

I have run the network setup wizard innumerable times, and, although all the correct links show up on the client PC it cannot access the internet. Internet Explorer tells me for ages that it is "detecting proxy servers" and then cops out. Am I correct in thinking that with a USB ADSL modem this form of ICS is not possible?

kayemm (slowly going crazy)
9 REPLIES
N/A

Which version of the Binatone Modem do you have? The 2 light or 3 light version?

I have run ICS without any problems with the 2 light version. Tho that was with a crossover cable rather than a switch
N/A

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It is the new 3-light variety.

Unfortunately it has no Ethernet socket, and the Netgear switch seems to think it needs to connect to the modem via an Ethernet connection as well as to the PCs. I thought the USB connection would have made this unneccessary.

kayemm
Community Veteran

It should be possible but a good starting point is to make sure that the the two machines in question cam actually talk to each other.
If you havn't already done so make sure that there are at least one file on each machine that can be shared (has the file icon in a little blue hand) and that when you click on the network connections that each machine can see the files on the other.
N/A

the other thing to look out for is the boot sequence of each PC.

As far as I know the host PC needs to be up before booting the client PC, as the Host is the one that assigns the Internal IP address. (that is unless you have assigned static IPs to each machine on the internal network)

Had all sorts of fun with earlier versions of windows till i worked that one out. I think it still applies to XP
N/A

Thank you for the helpful ideas.

Network sharing was set up OK, but using a different switch; I only had that one on loan. Now with the new one it has all gone pear-shaped again and I can't see any files on the other PC from either direction.

I have assigned IP addresses for the internal LAN, but this time it isn't making any difference.

Obviously until I can connect the 2 PCs I won't get any Internet access from the client PC, so back to the drawing board with this one.

I am fairly sure that the thing that is rocking the boat is a 1394 Net adapter, even though I have disabled it. I don't even know why it is there, unless it is needed for my Firewire port.

And I have uninstalled the Kaspersky Anti-Hacker from the client PC.

kayemm
N/A

First thing I'd recommend is delete all the existing network conenctions other than the (presumably working) DSL connection.

Then select set up a new network or home connection - follow the wizard and remember to switch off or unload any software firewalls y ou have.

Also make sure all the pcs are on the same Domain -(default is MShome).
Seriously the ICS wizard is pretty good - as long as you make sure to let it assign the IP nos for the machines .

As for proxy servers go to internet properties in IE and make sure "never dial a connection is selected" - then go to LAN settings and make sure everything is empty .

DinAlt
N/A

try setting the IPs manually (in the same subnet) - set the client machine to use the servers IP for the gateway and primary dns - set the server up to use its own ip as the dns.

that's how i had it set up on an older machine.
N/A

As marouf say set it up manualy as the wizard often scews thing up.

Set xp one(the one with the modem) to have an ip of 10.0.0.2 subnett 255.255.255.0 and set up the+nets dns.

Set xp two to 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 with plusnets dns and the inportant part set the default gateway to 10.0.0.2. make sure there is no firewalls installed and that should work ok. To connect to another pc you should have a directory shared as most of the default ones are admin and hidden.

Try pinging each pc from the other one. So on pc one you should be able to type ping 10.0.0.1 and get a reply
N/A

Many thanks to all who have posted helpful ideas. I have tried everything, and still no joy, so have given up on the switch and ordered a router. I shall probably be back in a few days saying "Help" again.

kayemm