cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up ICS on host disables Binatone ADSL500 (win98se)

pharbar

Has anybody else been though this - and found a solution?

I've wasted days setting up a network (my first) between two computers, both running Win98se, with the intention of sharing the internet connection provided by the Binatone ADSL500 USB modem. I have arrived at a point where the LAN works perfectly using TCP/IP, but as soon as I complete the Internet Connection Sharing wizard on the Host machine, the modem becomes unable to log on ("The page cannot be displayed"). This has happened repeatedly, though I was rather hoping (in vain) that it would all be OK once the TCP/IP was fixed.

I am using a wired network based on Netgear 10/100mbs PC/PCMCIA cards.

I am not using NetBEUI protocols as I read somwhere that they are no good for my purposes. I got TCP/IP to work by entering the IP address of the Host (192.168.0.1) as a Gateway in the Client's TCP/IP properties. I assume that is correct, and I wonder whether the problem with the modem malfunctioning is being caused by the absence of IP entries somewhere, or possibly the presence of wrong ones. My connection uses a Static IP, but I have no idea where that information would be entered in the Network Configuration.

Can anyone help me? Many thanks in advance.

Peter
5 REPLIES
N/A

Have you got a 2 light or 3 light modem?

I have only got a 2 light version, but reading through the threads on here, the 3 light version seems toset itself up on an IP address which seems to be '192.168.0.1'

If you then set up ICS and it assigns that IP address to the Host PC, u will be unable to access the modem.

Try setting the Host IP address to 192.168.0.2 and the client to maybe 192.168.0.3
N/A

Is this that odd Binatone modem ( three lights )
that thinks it's a network device with an IP address
of : 192.168.1.2 ? (or something similar)
If so then try assigning your server and client pc's
manual IP's (don't use the wizard) in the same range
as the modem eg. 192.168.1.3 for server and 192.168.1.4
for client.
Alec
pharbar

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

It is the 3 light Binatone model. I've tried all of your suggestions concerning IP numbers, removed and replaced the various adapters and protocols in a very methodical manner, I'd like to think. But with absolutely no luck. Once ICS is set up on the host, it can no longer log on to the internet through the Binatone modem. Unless there's something I'm missing...

I think I am at the point of giving up ( I NEVER give upon this kind of thing, but I need to get back to my life!); however, if I were told that using an ADSL odem/router/everything box with a "proper" network would be a straightforward proposition, I might give that a go. Or would I lose another week of my life?

Aaargh. Peter
Community Veteran

Do you have a firewall installed on your ICS configured PC. If so what make/version.

ZoneAlarm Free will not work with ICS, you need the PRO version.

You may need to include your other network (the one going to your other PCS, not the modem) into the trusted zone fo the firewall.

I would certainly suggest you bin the Binatone ( Cheesy ) and buy an all in one 4 port modem/router/switch like the Netgear DG834. It really is very easy to setup as all the network settings can be done automatically using DHCP on the router. It also means you don't have to have your ICS machine running for the others to use the ADSL connection.
pharbar

Thanks for the advice, which was pretty much what I was expecting and hoping for. I only ended up with the Binatone as it was offered as part of the Plusnet starter package, which was a cheaper option even without a free modem. I shudder to think what it has cost in time... I would never have chosen it in other circumstances.

I really must do some real work, though, before tackling any more networking issues!

Peter

PS Incidentally, disabling the Firewall made no difference. I also tried a demo version of Sygate Home Network, but it was unable to detect a running internet connection. I saw on the website that the program does not support PPPoA ADSL, which rules out Plusnet (and most of the UK?)