cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seting up server + no internet

N/A

Hi

I have just installed a server 2003. Its mainly for testing at home and learning. I got a netgear dg384 wireless router. I havnt changed any settings on my router. I use to get net. But before i can make my server a DC. I have to give it a static ip. I gave a ip address that the machine had b4 as ive saved it on the router via a mac code. so it always gets same ip address. Then added my routers ip address as default gateway. and the machines own ip address as the first dns server.

After i ok'd it. I could get access to net or cannot access my router. Can anyone shed any ideas. Do i have to configure my router?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Can you ping your router from the server?

Also try setting the dns server to the router IP not the IP of the server.

Try a simple traceroute to www.bbc.co.uk from the server, paste back any results
N/A

nah cnt ping the router...when i use obtain ip automaticlay from my routers dhcp it works fine...as i use static it dies?

I can try using the routers ipadress as dns
N/A

setting the dns as the routers ip address wont make any odd's until you can ping the router.

If you've set the router to allocate a static ip address to the mac of your servers lan card then leave it all at dhcp. the router will still assign an address via dhcp , but it'll just be the same address.

Otherwise try taking another ip from your range and assigning it to the server, make sure you've set the correct subnet mask and that any wireless encryption is set correctly if using wireless.
N/A

Bit confused what you are doing here. For a 2003 server to be a DC you must be running dynamic DNS on the server or on the network. This holds all the ip address of compuers on the network it DOESNT HAVE THE INTERNETS DNS.

The DC must have a static ip not one from the router so take the router ip and add one to the last number make sure you set the subnet the same as the router set the default gateway to the routers ip and set the dns either to the router or Plusnets DNS it should work then.

If you set the dns to the local DC it will only know about pc's on the network so it wont find any internet ips
N/A

cheers guys iv got this up and running now im trying to set up a webserver...ive made a thread about this too Cool