Case thermatake sopano
Amd athlon 64 3500
Asrock 939 duel sata 2 motherboard
Fx 5600 agp 256mb
1 gb of xms ddr 400mz
dvd rom
dvd re write
ezcool 600watt psu

when starting the system up the ram was on auto running at 166mhz should it be 200mhz
the cool and quiet do i leave it alone ??
cpu running at 32 to 33
will i need to download any drivers for the amd 64 i am running win xp home
10 REPLIES
N/A

set up athlon 64 3500

I cannot answer your question, except make sure that the bios and drivers are all up to date. However, I know that there is sometimes a problem with XP SP2 and the AMD 64. I have xp sp1 and installed sp2 and with 64-bit AMD processor the pc restarted repeatedly after installing Service Pack 2. The blue screen of death. I then found out that the problem is a known issue with sp2.

I also know that there is a workaround if you have this problem. (Having said that I just reinstalled xpsp1 and haven't yet installed sp2. However, I have bought my son a ipod video for xmas and the box says it needs sp2......so I may have to bite the bullet and use the workaround.

Having said all that you may not have a problem at all, but if you find the workaround please can you tell me what it is.
holdtight
Grafter

set up athlon 64 3500

I can only echo bluebellhouse about making sure you have all the latest drivers
installed

Your temps are good and your memory which is DDR (double data rate) should be set to 200mhz, 2 x 200mhz = 400mhz
Ive heard of people who have had issues with cool and quiet but if its functioning as it should then leave it be
the same goes for the rest of your setup if its functioning as it should once youve changed your ram settings then its fine
N/A

set up athlon 64 3500

Same as what the guys above say realy, make sure once windows is installed, you load your chipset drivers, sound drivers, latest gfx drivers from nvidia and then do all the windows updates.

You memory definatley should be at 200mhz, this can be adjusted in the bios.

I wouldnt bother with Cool n Quiet you cpu is running at a nice temp anyway.
vic_newey
Grafter

set up athlon 64 3500

Same as what the guys above say realy, make sure once windows is installed, you load your chipset drivers, sound drivers, latest gfx drivers from nvidia and then do all the windows updates.

Thats totally incorrect & is the reason for many a problem , service packs should be installed directly after windows & before any other drivers & then your motherboard driver etc can be installed
holdtight
Grafter

set up athlon 64 3500

Indeed i would always recommend installing service packs directly
after the installation of windows and before anything else as theres
far less chance of any conflicts occuring
N/A

set up athlon 64 3500

Thats totally incorrect & is the reason for many a problem , service packs should be installed directly after windows & before any other drivers & then your motherboard driver etc can be installed

Yes your correct but im going on an install using xp with sp2 incorporated. Dont be quick to quote me next time.
N/A

amd 64 3500

thanks all for your help its running like a dream the only thing that is letting me down my pc is the agp fx 5600 card need to get a pci e what will i get for about £70.00 :roll: Cry
vic_newey
Grafter

set up athlon 64 3500

Yes your correct but im going on an install using xp with sp2 incorporated. Dont be quick to quote me next time.

Make your post clearer then , most copies of Win XP in circulation do not have SP2 incorporated
N/A

set up athlon 64 3500

Make your post clearer then , most copies of Win XP in circulation do not have SP2 incorporated

Make my post clearer?? the guy didn't state which version of xp he was using, i suggest you take some of your own advice :roll:

Anyway back on topic, rtparry, glad to see everything is running fine.
vic_newey
Grafter

set up athlon 64 3500

On the contrary ,my post covered all possibilites so that service pack could not be added in wrong order.
there is no need to be so touchy, at the end of the day we only want to give the correct advice to rtparry do we not ?
so no offence offered & hopefully none taken