cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router changing my I.P addresses

N/A

I've had a small network set up for the last year with my pc wired and my sons laptop wireless. This last two weeks i have been setting up a desktop to replace the laptop. In the last week my router changed the I.P.of my P.C. to that of the laptop, which didn't really matter as the laptop was going. But today I've noticed my I.P. has been changed to that of the new desktop.My router is a Netgear 834g. Can anyone advise on what is happening. Sad

Addendum- I think I've fixed it. I went into the router and added my I.P to the reserved list in Lan I.P. setup and edited the I.P. address
7 REPLIES
N/A

If you always want the same ip you need to give your pc /laptop a fixed ip which is the same net result as reserving its ip on the router.
If you give it a fixed ip on the pc and the routers dhcp fails your ip will be the same if you reserve it and its dhcp fails you wont get any ip
Community Veteran

The router used DHCP to assign IP addresses. Your PC will be set to ask for an IP address automatically when it starts up and it is up to the router what IP it gives you. Normally the router will give out the same IP for your PC than it did last time you requested it, but sometimes it can give you a different one.

If you always wanted the same one allocated - i.e. because you are using it for a server so your router port-forwarding needs to always route to it - then your can do as you have or set-up your PC to a fixed IP address.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The first thing I do with a router is to give it a limited range of IPs to use for DHCP e.g. 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99. Then any PCs that need fixed IPs I start from 100. A simple rule that avoids any issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Thanks for the replies. I presume to set a fixed I.P.I go to I.P.properties on my lan card in Network connections and press "use the following address". It's currently set to "obtain automatically" I assume the subnet mask and default gateway are the same as what my router says they are in Adsl port in router status, i.e 255.255.255.255 and 195.166.128 53.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Yes, you set the IP properties for your LAN card in Network connections as you stated, but you need to set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and set the default gateway to the IP address of your router.
N/A

Thanks for that, so the adsl port values are the gateway for the router and the router values are the gateway for my P.C. The veil lifts. Tongue
N/A

The first thing I do with a router is to give it a limited range of IPs to use for DHCP

I rarely use DHCP but when I do, I use a similar approach.

However, I change the router to use 10.0.0.100 and then the PCs to .111, .112 etc (and use .121, .122, etc in a different room).

I find 10.0.0.* much easier to remember than any of these other ranges (and as it happens, my first ADSL router came with 10.0.0.2 as its IP, before anyone starts off on 10.*.*.* being intended for a big organisation).