cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Virtual PC" advice please

N/A

Would any Mac owners who also use Virtual PC care to comment on how good it is?

This is my situation, and I may well be considering using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

I have iChat AV 2.1 (v153) that came with OS 10.3 Panther, and an iSight camera with recent upgrade.My sister I believe is using the latest version of AOL's Instant Messenger, and I understood that both programs should be able to communicate with each other...... and to a certain extent they do; in that at my end "iChat" informs me that I am engaged in video chat with my sister, but at her end AOL IM is still trying to connect, and we gave up after half an hour. So as I have not the faintest idea as to what is actually happening and how to resolve this I am considering getting a copy of "Virtual PC" on the assumption that at least that would give me a few more options for video chat than perhaps "iChat" does i.e. "Netmeeting" etc

But what I don't know before I spend all that money; is if "Virtual PC" is up to the task or not, or if anyone knows any reason for this situation between "iChat" and "AOL IM" to exist.I do understand that there have been problems with this but thought they had been eliminated with the latest incarnation of "iChat AV"

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas

Ian & Linda Jordan
2 REPLIES
N/A

what version of windows is your sister using? cos apparently the video bit of AOL IM only works on XP. the latest version of AOL IM for XP is 5.5.3572

As for Virtual PC, a friend of mine has a Mac with it on, and yes, it can run Windows. However its like running it in treacle, and i would seriously doubt it you would be able to use netmeeting or anything else that is fairly computer intensive. It is good for general use tho. i.e. running Office etc

Also it will not run on the new G5 processor (yet)

Hope this is of some help

Ben
N/A

Thanks Ben

Your reply is appreciated,she is using Windows XP although what version of IM she is using I don;t know at the moment but she did have to download an update or something when we first started trying to get video flowing.So time to start looking deeper for the problem.

The thoughts on "Virtual PC" are noted,pretty well what I suspected............. thanks

Ian & Linda Jordan