cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unknown Network Sharing device found" ?

Stef
Grafter

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help?

A colleague of mine has just signed up with PN and is trying to configure his DG834G. He is running XP (Home or Pro I am not sure?) and got a friend to install a NIC in his machine + drivers.

I have checked the following:-

Modem sync light green on DG834G
Cable connected from PC/NIC to DG834G
Green light on NIC
Firewall off
Tracert 192.168.0.1 works fine
ipconfig shows 192.168.0.2
(I did not try ipconfig/refresh)

Now the problem is with IE (The chap never used IE before because he was an AOL dial-up customer)

When 192.168.0.1 is typed in to IE he IMMEDIATLY gets "The page cannot be displayed..." If Refersh is pressed he sometimes gets "Limited or No Network connectivity - Local Area connction 3" (!), "Didn't assign a network address" "Internet Gateway" "Connection Disabled" or similar - Repair is offered by does not fix it...
(This is all with Auto detect LAN settings switched on) and AOL DUN removed.

If I try the Network Setup wizzard it strangley detects something called "Unknown network sharing device" and configures the network with this even though I select "This PC uses a home/router gateway device" instead...

Suffice to say he called PN CS who kind of shrugged - Actually he said that the PN CS operative sounded rather stressed...

Any ideas or suggestions as to what to try next?

Many thanks, Stefan
3 REPLIES
N/A

Open Internet Explorer

Click tools - internet options check the connection tab and ensure he has no modem/proxy servers set up (click the lan settings button for this (tick the auto detect settings box))

This will ensure his net is not trying to access other modems/routers etc

When you do an ipconfig /all what does default gateway say?
Ill assume you made sure the nic installed ok
Stef
Grafter

Thanks for this...

I will try it out...
Stef
Grafter

Re: Open Internet Explorer

Click tools - internet options check the connection tab and ensure he has no modem/proxy servers set up (click the lan settings button for this

Thanks - This SOLVED IT !

Plusnet/Broadband working just fine now!

Thanks again, Stefan

Cheesy