Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Not found" when sending Outlook 2003 attachments

henderson1977
Grafter

Hi all

Our firm has recently upgraded from Outlook 2002 on XP SP1 to Outlook 2003 on XP SP2. We have noticed an increase in the number of "Not found" messages that people receive when trying to send an email/appointment containing an attachment(s). These attachments are inserted via 'Insert menu --> Item', then selecting another email.

I have searched MS Support website and google'd it, but no joy.

Has anyone else seen this issue before? Do you know what the fix is please?

:?

Thanks
Scott
9 REPLIES
N/A

You dont say what your email server is ie Exchange and if that has changed as well.
Try looking here as its a good resource.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/MicrosoftExchangeOutlook/Index.cfm?Ad=1

If its exchange the most likely cause is caching of mailboxs the server may cache the mail so the files links point to A but their new position is actually point B so when its picked up you are looking in the wrong place.

More details on the setup may help us
henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks mwright, I will try the link you provided.

The backend is Exchange 2003 and hasn't changed, only the clients have changed. Although, when we first migrated to Outlook 2003, we left Cached Exchange Mode (CEM) on, but have subsequently turned it off for a number of users will very large (5GB+) mailboxes, experiencing a noticeable degradation in performance. Microsoft do not recommend enabling CEM on mailboxes over 1GB.

However, the "not found" message occurs across the firm, not on one particular Outlook setup. I thought this would have been a known issue, but I cannot find any info on the web anywhere.

Could it be that the transition from CEM to 'online mode', has meant a batch of emails are still cached locally only and the rest are stored on the Exchange server? Would re-enabling CEM on a problem machine resolve this issue? (I will try...)

Thanks
Scott
N/A

Even when in CEM, the messages are still stored on the server - they just maintain an up-to-date offline copy (which is online when the connection is there, but then is instantly available if you cut the network connection).

Its very similar to the older versions offline folders functionality, but with a couple of extra options/benefits.

I can't offer a reason for the problem you are having though - it does sound a little odd, what AV/AS solution are you running there?
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi James,

Anti-Virus = Trend OfficeScan 7.3 & Symantec 10.1.5/0.2.2
Anti-Spyware = built-in with the above I believe

Unfortunately, I do agree with your comments on CEM... clutching at straws while the user calls keep flooding in, will have to contact Microsoft direct soon...

Cheers
Scott
N/A

When you say you have upgraded is this a new install or have you installed sp2 and outlook over xp sp1?

Do you use pst or ost files?
You need to do some tests to narrow down the problem. If you get the error again send a standard email with the same attachment and see if it get through.

You want to see if the file being sent is the problem or the appointment + file. Is it only certain files ie exe could this be a over keen AV blocking it or the permissions are wrong on the file/folder? try the failed files from another location, can other users receive it?

If the files sent are referenced by path to a server it could be a dns/netbios problem. If the files was sent from \\myserver\users\fred and dns/netbios wasnt working it wouldnt find it.
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi mwright

The upgrade to XP SP2 and OL2003 was a completely new build/install altogether.

For those with CEM enabled, they use the OST that is created by default. The others are just connected in "online" mode, so are directly connected to the Exchange server. There are some users who need access to PST files (usually archived work-related emails).

The attachments are not files (e.g. EXE...), just other emails with text in them, so I don't think it's AV blocking them.

I can replicate the error myself, by:-
1) composing a new email
2) inserting 2 emails
3) moving each email to a new position within the email
4) then clicking send

However, other users are getting the error when just clicking Insert --> Item then Send (i.e. the normal way).

Hmm...
N/A

If you forward the email instead of inserting it does it work?

Do people using pst have the same problem?

If you delete the ost file( it will be recreated when you open outlook) does it then work?

When you setup outlook did you tell it to use cached exchange mode? see number 5

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Configuring_Outlook_2003_for_Offline_Use.html

I would look at this site as they have a good board and you may find the answer there.

It does seem to be either permissions on the file you are sending or the syncing of outlook with exchange is out of wak so the file has moved
henderson1977
Grafter

Sending a new email causes the error to occur, but we have had reports that forwarding and replying also causes the error.

No-one has PST mailbox, they all use an Exchange account either configured in Cached Exchange Mode (OST) or not. If not, laptop users are configured for offline use, hence use an OST.

We have deleted/re-created OST files to no effect.

I will try the board as suggested.

Many thanks for all your help to date.

Scott
N/A

I have looked around and other have had this problem but no real solutions. One is at
http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?p=67785

Assuming its not you?

Any other error codes or messages? Is there any common things with users ie AD groups etc.
Is the address book uptodate?
Does outlook webmail work ok?

Some ideas
In outlook instead of having the exchange servers name put the ip address.

Turn off any AV.
Connect a laptop into the same switch as the exchange box(to rule out any firewall routing)
Create a new user and see if it works.
Do a new box and install outlook manually see if it works
try with an old version of outlook.
You could try this page
http://www.kbalertz.com/312354/Error.Message.Appears.After.Click.aspx

You could try thebat from http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/ you can try it as a demo and see if that works.

Its trying to see if the problem is with outlook, exchange or network.