cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Delayed Write Failed"

henderson1977
Grafter

"Delayed Write Failed"

I bought the 500GB Freecom external USB hard drive from eBuyer.com about a couple of months ago (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=123400). Copied about 150GB in one fell swoop when I first got it. No problems. In fact, love the silent running Samsung HD501LJ SpinPoint T Series drive.

However yesterday, I copied another 150GB but a pop-up message from Windows warned me of the following: "Delayed Write Failed - Windows was unable to save all the data for the file x. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Google lead me to a Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321733, but I already have XP SP2 so the fix was irrelevant. Another google search told me to change the HDD Policy from "Optimize for quick removal" to "Optimize for performance" (which enables write caching on the disk), so I did. But even after the reboot, the error reappeared on-screen after a while and littered the System Event Log. So a few more google searches found other victims of this error who have had to return the HDD because it's faulty.

If I turn the HDD on from a cold start, it's fine until after 30mins or so when it warms up, then the error occurs. I couldn't access any of the data until I turned it off and let it cool down for an hour! I am really concerned I may lose most, if not, all my data. I have another HD501LJ HDD in my main PC, so perhaps I may just be unlucky with a faulty drive. This error/fault doesn't appear to be uncommon among external hard drives...

Have others experienced this problem? If so, what have you done about it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sad

Thanks
Scott
7 REPLIES
N/A

"Delayed Write Failed"

You need to ask the question is it actually getting to hot try downloading the monitor from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hddthermometer.html

Its free.

You then know if its getting hot for sure and if it is then you need to cool it but until you have measured it you cant be sure its hot. This would cause the problems you are having. Copying smaller amounts over may help to stop the problem.

In device manager look for the disk controller and turn off the cache as this may help
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

"Delayed Write Failed"

I had a similar problem a couple of years back with a hard drive. It was fine most of the time but I'd sometimes get that error. I found that the drive was getting too hot. A couple of fans later and a temperature monitor and the drive's been fine for 2 years. Worth checking the fans if it has them to check they are OK.
henderson1977
Grafter

"Delayed Write Failed"

mwight, dtomlinson - thanks both for your advice/suggestions. I have downloaded HDD Thermometer 1.3, will install and monitor.

mwright, I have been advised elsewhere to enable write caching on the HDD, not disable it as you have suggested. Either way, I've had the "delayed write failed" message whether I have selected "optimize for quick removal" or "optimize for performance". Any further advice on this selection, if any, would be helpful.

dtomlinson, it's a fanless design so the hard drive relies on the aluminium casing to keep it cool. Perhaps it's not doing and an external HDD with a fan is a more reliable solution?

Thanks
Scott
henderson1977
Grafter

"Delayed Write Failed"

I installed HDD Thermometer 1.3. It recognises and provides a temperature for my internal HDD, but not for my external USB HDD. I've checked external USB HDD is discovered in Device manager and I can browse the contents. I've searched the options within HDD Thermometer but no setting to enable external USB HDDs (or similar).

Does HDD Thermometer 1.3 support external USB HDDs?

:?

Cheers
Scott
henderson1977
Grafter

"Delayed Write Failed"

After a google search, I don't think HDD Thermometer 1.3 supports external USB HDDs, but I wish I was wrong...?

Anyone?
henderson1977
Grafter

Any software that monitors external USB HDDs?

Hi all

I have tried HDD Thermometer 1.3 which does monitor my internal SATA drive fine, but not my external 500GB USB Freecom HDD.

Does anyone know of any software that can monitor the temperature of external USB HDDs please?

Thanks
Scott
henderson1977
Grafter

"Delayed Write Failed"

I have since discovered that to monitor a HDD's temperature, S.M.A.R.T. must be enabled. This is true for internal HDDs but not for external (USB) HDDs because S.M.A.R.T. is lost over USB (USB doesn't support it).

This would explain why HDD Thermometer 1.3 can monitor the temperature of my internal HDD but not even detect my external USB Freecom HDD.

Furthermore, no. 2 on the following article prompted me to change the 5' USB cable I was using for a much shorter (< 1M) USB cable:- http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid1_gci1041334,00.html

It's been fine all evening (so far).

Hope this helps others.

Scott