cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

projector and XP help please

grim

Hi could someone help please. Since (I think) upgrading to sp2 on windows XP when I plug my projector into the laptop (monitor out) I can only use the projector as an extension of the monitor. I want to be able to show exactly what I have on the screen not slide things from one onto the projector as an extention. I can't find anything to set it to do this and if I switch off dual monitors then I get no signal at all. Nothing on the projector.
I say since upgrading to sp2 only because at some time in the past I just used to plug the projector in and it worked fine without having to change any settings and I can't think that I have made any other changes.
Thanks for any help

Grim
4 REPLIES
N/A

This sounds like a driver issue. Have you installed the latest drivers for your graphics Chip / card.
N/A

Richt click on the desktop and select properties.

Click on the Settings tab

Does it allow you to select which display you are looking at, via a dropdown list?

If so, select the second monitor, and make sure "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" is disabled.

If this does help, exactly what graphics card do you have in the laptop?
grim

If you disable the "extend Windows desktop to this monitor" you lose the signal to the projector (2nd monitor) altogether. Can't see that it is a driver issue as it worked fine before and it is about knowing how to use 2nd monitor as repeat of first - everything works ok as an extended monitor. The card is a RADEON IGP 345 M on a Sony Vaio.
craigbrass
Grafter

Try holding down the "FN" key on the keyboard and then pressing the function key at the top that has a pic of a monitor on it, there may be 2 or 3 so try them all.