cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

probs with AVG antivirus

N/A

probs with AVG antivirus

Hi,

Since changing to Plusnet, we've had problems updating our antivirus software, its the free AVG ....it comes up 'the server name cannot be converted to the IP address'

anyone else had any trouble?
anyone have any ideas?

thanks
jonanncris
10 REPLIES
N/A

probs with AVG antivirus

There was a big sortware update not so long ago. Do you have the latest version?

that's the only thing I can think of, sorry if that's no help.

Simon
Alecto
Grafter

probs with AVG antivirus

You can't change the url it connects to for the updates on the free edition, so it doesn't look like something you can correct.
The easiest solution would be to uninstall and download it again - it's very quick to do.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

probs with AVG antivirus

You can't change the url it connects to for the updates on the free edition, so it doesn't look like something you can correct.

Although you can't change the url it connects to, you can redirect it with a little hack - works in W2K and XP.
<systemroot>:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
and open the file named "hosts" with Notepad. Add this line at the end of the file: -
193.86.103.19  guru.grisoft.com

Don't change or remove anything else in the file. Save and close the file, then log out and back in again.
This server runs a bit faster than the usual server, especially around the times when big updates are posted.

HTH
Phil
N/A

probs with AVG antivirus

Although you can't change the url it connects to, you can redirect it with a little hack - works in W2K and XP.
<systemroot>:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
and open the file named "hosts" with Notepad. Add this line at the end of the file: -
193.86.103.19  guru.grisoft.com

Don't change or remove anything else in the file. Save and close the file, then log out and back in again.
This server runs a bit faster than the usual server, especially around the times when big updates are posted.

HTH
Phil

thanks but i'm quite new to all this, so how do i get to " navigate to the direcory
<systemroot>:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc "
sorry to sound a bit dumb!
jonanncris
N/A

probs with AVG antivirus

The easiest way to do this is:
a) For Windows XP: Start -> run -> notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
b) For Windows 2000: a) For Windows XP: Start -> run -> notepad C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

as for Windows 95/98/ME, I can't help with where the file may be located, but start -> search -> 'hosts' should find it.
Denzil
Grafter

probs with AVG antivirus

I would suggest you stick with the original suggestion and download and install a new copy of AVG. Much less risky if you are not sure what you are doing.
Alecto
Grafter

probs with AVG antivirus

You could have reinstalled it in half the time you've spent so far trying to solve the problem. :lol:
N/A

AVG

I have un-installed, then re-installed, but have the same problem. Cry
OldDave
Grafter

probs with AVG antivirus

No probs with AVG updates every 5 minutes (slight exgerration) - Slight misspelling)
Could this be a DNS server problem?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Re: AVG

I have un-installed, then re-installed, but have the same problem. Cry

Are you by any chance running the Zone Alarm firewall?
If so, check the "Program Control" tab of Zone Alarm and make sure the following programs are allowed access to the internet zone.
AVGCC.EXE
AVGINET.EXE

If you also use the Personal Email Scanner...
AVGEMC.EXE

If you are running any other type of firewall (Windows XP for example), you should check the settings for that firewall, to make sure the above programs are allowed to access the internet

HTH
Phil