cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with outlook

N/A

problems with outlook

My son set up our system and has now gone to Uni leaving me to struggle alone! I use outlook for email and every few days it refuses to let me have any emails or send any. Tells me that it cannot connect to server. Internet connection is fine. We went on broadband a few months ago. If I disable the antivirus, the mail sends but I hate doing that and I will not risk disabling the incoming mail protection. Any ideas? Sometimes the system is fine!

Cheers

Smiley
8 REPLIES
N/A

problems with outlook

It depends what AV your using(I bet Norton). A lot of the AV set them selves up as the mail server so instead of connecting plusnet Outlook connects to norton on the pc which scans it and then sends it on to plusnet.

It could be the AV has got screwed somwere along the line or its not starting up properly, Norton is well known for having this problem.

At worse uninstall the AV and reinstall it(dont forget ot get updates)
N/A

problems with outlook

Thanks. We do have Norton. Always get updates. Will try re-installing. cheers
N/A

problems with outlook

Norton AV creates a proxy between your Outlook email and the email server at the ISP.

A number of ways of solving this, one is to kill off email scanning in the AV configuration options. Email is still scanned but not using the proxy.

Pop over to http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html

In the support documents search input 2001060516275506 and tick the
Norton Anti Virus box..Click on any of the listed documents.
N/A

problems with outlook

cheers will try this
brabason
Dabbler

Outlook (express or Office) and Norton Antivirus (NAV)

This is for information only. If the fault you are experincing is intermittent, then the cause may lie elsewhere.

The position on Norton Antivirus (NAV) depends on the version number.

With NAV 2001 and 2002, it sets itself up as by editing the POP3 server name to be itself and editing the user email address. It does this for Outlok Express and MS Office Outlook (I have no experience of other email software).

NAV 2003 and NAV 2004 do not modify the email settings. A problem arises when upgrading to one of these later versions: the email settings in Outlook (both flavours) need to be 'corrected'. Perhaps the upgrade software is meant to do this for you, but I had to find out the hard way after upgrading NAV 2002 to NAV 2003.

I upgraded my firewall (and antivirus) when I changed to broadband: I wanted something more up to date because of the 'always on' connection.

Hope this helps someone Smiley
N/A

problems with outlook

Thanks
We do have 2002 NAV and regularly updated. Funnily enough email has been fine since I posted the first query. Odd that. Smiley
brabason
Dabbler

Outlook and NAV intermittent problems

I provide IT assistance to a friend and recently set up his new system. He has three users each with their private email. I left the system working OK after copious tests.

Today, he calls me because email was no longer working. Broaband access to the Internet and PlusNet was OK.

We checked and rechecked the email setttings and could see nothing wrong with them. Tonight we tried again and lo, several days email comes through!

Bizare, not sure what was causing it.
N/A

problems with outlook

Sounds exactly llike what is happening here. I do hope you get it fixed.

I had five days emails arrive yesterday after I deleted quarantined files picked up by the anivirus and seems to be fine today.