cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems connecting WAP into wired router (Netgear DG834)

N/A

I have a wired Netgear router - DG834 - into which I am trying to connect a wireless system for my laptop, and have purchased a Belkin wireless network access point to be connected to the router, and a Belkin wireless notebook network card for the laptop. The laptop seems to be able to see the WAP, and is showing 72% signal when sitting beside the WAP. However there is no apparent activity between the WAP and the router, and if I scan for the WAP using the web-based software provided by Belkin it fails to find it. Am I trying to do the impossible? Funnily enough when I very first set the whole thing up the only connection I couldn't make was between the laptop and the LAN - I managed to access the laptop from the PC eventually, but in spite of resets, uninstalling and the reinstalling it ain't working.

PC is running Win XP SP2, and laptop Win 98SE.
16 REPLIES
N/A

I used to have a smilar setup, D-Link 504 router, netgear access point, a pcmcia wireless card, and a spare usb wireless adaptor for when my cuz stays over with his laptop.

The router was set to DHCP, automatically assigning ip addresses, plugged the access point in, loaded up usb software, so that I could configure the access point via the usb. setup the wep password etc on both the access point and wireless pcmcia card, ejected the wireless pcmcia card, reconnected it, and viola connected fine.

check the router, and see if the access point has been assigned an ip, without that the router and access point won't talk, then check that the ip address assigned to the laptop is in the same region as your router/pc. i.e. router 192.168.1.1, pc 192.168.1.2, access point 192.168.1.3, laptop 192.168.1.4

just plugged the netgear access point into my wireless router.... just to see if there is anything else that I might have missed.

can't see anything else that could cause it to not talk with the router.....but then again... it is a rather old access point Smiley

hope I've understood what your asking, had a rather hectic and long day Cry

just had a look at the belkin website, might come in handy if all else fails

[urlhttp://setup.belkin.com/guide.html]setup guide[/url]
tech phone support 0800 2235 5460
N/A

Thanks Chris - yes that is the question I was asking. I have looked at my router setup, it is set to DHCP, and there is no IP address assigned to the WAP - the router doesn't even acknowledge its presence. I think I either have a faulty WAP, or I need to phone Belkin for advice. I'm fed up battling with it on my own.
Thanks for your help.
N/A

before giving belkin a call...... check that the network cable isn't faulty.... using the one from the pc for example, as you know that one works Smiley

if that cables still no good, then give belkin a call, it is a possibility that the access point is faulty, and you've been ripping your hair out for nothing Smiley either way I'm sure belkin will be able to help Smiley

hope it all gets sorted out for ya, altho the sun is pretty much gone, surfing via the laptop in the garden whilst drinking beer is such a good feeling Cheesy
N/A

Thanks again Chris. I think the cable is OK because it used to be the one I connected my laptop to the wired LAN with and it worked famously then. Perhaps be the time this is sorted out it will be summer again and the laptop in the garden will be possible. I'll give Belkin a ring next week - I don't like phoning helplines unless I have some grasp of the subject, however tenuous!
N/A

lol Smiley

well... we all gotta start some where... and I certainly ain't no expect on this matter Smiley

I'm sure belkin tech support are properly trained, and should be able to help you.

I found this link the other night, whilst hunting around about wep security etc, should be a good read Smiley
N/A

Which model Belkin WAP have you got? I assume that it has a LAN connection that you are connecting to your existing router?

The Belkin WAP will be acting as a DHCP server for the Wireless connections but it may also be acting as a DHCP server for the LAN connection and thus not requesting an address from your other router.
Try connecting the desktop PC directly to the LAN port of the Belkin device and then turn it on and see if it get allocated an IP address. That would mean that the Belkin WAP was acting as a DHCP server on the LAN. YOu could then see if the desktop and laptop can ping each other.

You may be able to use the Belkin configuration program to change it to get an IP address (for the router) from the LAN connection. Or failing that, change the IP address of the router to a different IP address. The two routers may be using the same IP address as there internal IP address. 192.168.0.1 is commonly used.
FillDee
Grafter

Kathleen,

Is the WAP also a router ? Not sure of your model so can't check. I suspect it won't be, in which case, the WAP will not get an address assigned, it will merely be a bridge between the wired and wireless network and hence only the laptop network card will get an address. If, however, it is also a router, then you will effectively have 2 separate networks. Rather than go into methods for configuring this (which gets silly very quickly without knowing the facts Cheesy ), if you can check the model and specs of the WAP then we can work from there.

The previous post goes into more detail on this (obviously knows his stuff), but his post is valid if the Belkin is a router not just a bridge.

Phil
N/A

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.

The Wireless Network Access Point (F5D6130) is connected to my wired router and is simply to allow my laptop to connect up from other rooms in the house. I phoned Belkin support and, after running some tests such as trying to restore factory defaults in 2 different ways and failing, it was pronounced dead in the water. They are sending out a replacement so we shall soon see whether it is my ignorance about such things, or their faulty merchandise.

I will keep all the advice so far sent and use it if and when it becomes necessary, though I hope it doesn't - the WAP is supposed to be just plugged in and work straight from the box, that's why I couldn't understand why it was taking me 3 days to get it up and working!
N/A

From the manual on the Belkin site it looks as though the Access Point is set up as a DCHP client by default. This means that it should get an IP address from the router. Basically, as you say, it should just work "out of the box".

The manual doesn't specificy how wireless clients are allocated IP addresses; this could either be by the Access Point acting as a DCHP Relay and forwarding the request to the router or it allocating it's own addresses to wireless clients and doing Network Address Translation (NAT).

You should be able to use the router setup program to determine the IP address of the Access Point (and the wireless client if it allocated an IP for it).
You can use IPCONFIG (on XP) and WINIPCFG (on 9Cool to determine the machines IP address.
N/A

Thanks. My replacement WAP arrived today and it did setup straight from the box, sort of! I can now surf the net from a cosy sitting room, after a bit of adjustment with Zone Alarm, but cannot access any PCs on my Home Network. I thought that with a WAP connected to a wired router it would be possible to access the home LAN. Perhaps I still need to adjust something somewhere, perhaps the hardware firewall on the router is blocking something.

Also I am unable to enable MAC filtering - it makes the connection fail, as does 128-bit encryption, which is a bit of a pain. Still, at least it works better than it did!
N/A

It should be possible for the wireless PC to access the other PC's on the home network.

If you have ZoneAlarm on your other PC's you may need to alter the settings to allow the PC's to access each-other.

It may also be a sub-net problem with the IP addresses; if use IPCONFIG or WINIPCFG and check that they all have the same subnet setting. To determine the subnet "bitwise and" the subnet mask and the IP address. eg If the mask is 255.255.255.0 and the ip is 192.168.1.2 then the subnet is 192.168.1. All the machine should be in the same subnet.

It could also just be that MS Networking takes some time to build a list of the other PC's on the network. Make sure that all the PC's have the same workgroup name in network settings. Try connecting to the other PC by using \\<ip-address\<share> rather than \\<name>\<share>.

Or, it could be security - make sure that the userid/password you have supplied is valid for the other machine. XP Home won't let you connect over a network unless you have set a password (ie If the password is blank you cannot connect to the XP machine from another machine)
FillDee
Grafter

Me off on a tangent :)

Langfordhq - You obviously know your stuff, so can you answer me a question.
You said....
From the manual on the Belkin site it looks as though the Access Point is set up as a DCHP client by default. This means that it should get an IP address from the router. Basically, as you say, it should just work "out of the box".

The manual doesn't specificy how wireless clients are allocated IP addresses; this could either be by the Access Point acting as a DCHP Relay and forwarding the request to the router or it allocating it's own addresses to wireless clients and doing Network Address Translation (NAT).
...a few posts ago.

How could that work ? If the router, WAP and wireless client were all on the same subnet, how would the WAP know which way to send packets. It would not be a router since both interfaces would be on the same subnet, so effectively it would have 2 ways out for all traffic. That (in my understanding which may I add is not exacly an expert view by any means) would simply not work. The NAT bit is perfectly OK, but again, needs routing capabilities within the WAP. Or am I simply missing something ? As a bridge, ie what goes in goes out, then it wouldn't need an IP address at all since it would never need packets addressed for it. Everything that came from the client would look like the client to the router. If the WAP has an IP address then it would look like the WAP and not the client (if you follow me).

If you would rather not go into this on the forum (as posts can get v e r y l o n g Smiley, just shot me a direct e-mail and teach me stuff Smiley

Cheers

Phil
N/A

Thanks for your help - I have tried what you suggested but still no joy. As far as I can see all the subnets are OK. I have even uninstalled ZoneAlarm on the desktop, but still cannot access it from the laptop. I can access the internet wirelessly, though, so I suppose I have half of what I set out to achieve. Must give Belkin a ring tomorrow and see what they suggest. I have a sneaky feeling the problem lies with the hardware firewall on the router.
FillDee
Grafter

Are you running XP ? If so, the firewall in that will stop the PC's talking to each other. Also, XP home doesn't allow connections with blank passwords.

The firewall on the router is only between the inside netowrk and the outside world. It would not effect the communication between the PC's on the inside network.