cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with loopback

N/A

problem with loopback

I have a pc running a web and ftp server on my lan, I have a DLink DSL502T connecting the network switch to the internet. I have several domain names linked to the wan ip address of the router. This all works fine, but I cannot access any of the sites that are hosted on my server from any other machine on the lan. I used the same configuration on another network and changed the host files on all the network machines and it all worked fine.

I have reciently expended the network and moved, there are some users that use laptops and pc's on several networks so changing the hosts file on those machines every time they change network is inconvienent.
I have started to look into this problem and its apparently because the router is trying to access itself and cant do that. (ie lan - - router - - router - - lan) and it needs (lan - - router - - internet - - router - - lan)

Has anyone else got this problem ? is there any way round it appart from using an external proxy server for all the internal network machines ?
How do large companys that host their own sites do it ?
I did think having more than 1 ip address may cure the problem so that the router isnt connecting in and out of the same ip address, would this work ? how do you have a router with 2 ip addresses ?

Any help most aprecieated.

Thanks

Tom
3 REPLIES
N/A

problem with loopback

One method is a local DNS server.

When a client machine (eg laptop) joins the network, it is assigned the DNS of your local servers.

On these, so can tell them to point your domains where needed to your local server.

This is somewhat simalar to hosts, but is automated, transparrent and a whole lot easier to contraly manage and move.

When the clients are on toher connections, the DNS servers will change again, and pickup the official DNS records, thus continuing usage of your site.
N/A

problem with loopback

Thanks for the reply, I hadnt thought of a local dns server. Is there a way to have 2 dns servers running on Windows 2003 server or a way to have a dns server give out different details for local/web ip addresses because I already run a dns server for the sites I host. Or is the only way to run another server just as a local dns server ?

Tom
N/A

problem with loopback

Just had a thought - is it possible to use 2 (I believe plusnet will give you up to 4) wan ip addresses, and then have the server on one and then the rest of the network on the other ?
Would this solve the problem of the server being on the same ip address as the requests are coming from and solve the loopback problem ?

Has anyone used multiple ip addresses on a router ? can you or do you need to have the network below with a non-nat modem and nat router ?

internet
|
modem
|
switch - - router - - lan
|
server