cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

press any key to boot from cd

Tiger50
Grafter

I use lots of different programs, pm8, ghost, gdisk, bcwipe,etc also lots of dos commands..................I run these from a bootable cd.

How do you get the option to boot from the cd, or after say 5 seconds, the computers boots from the hard disk........

I can get cdshell to give me the option to do the above but have not worked out how to put all the programs and dos commands into cdshell.............

Can anyone explain to me how to get the option to boot from the cd and run my dos menu (echo with key/number key inputs) or get cd shell to boot into dos so I can run my program from cd.........

Or do you know of another program that will allow me to do the same thing......
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You have to change the Boot sequence in the motherboards Bios so its the Cdrom that comes first..

So check your motherboard manual on the specific section to change.

To get to the Bios its usually by tapping the Delete key just after you power on until you see the Bios options
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Tiger50
Grafter

I need the option to boot from cd

As i need to use some of the program on the cd in dos, I do need the option to boot from the cd........................
Community Veteran

As said above, enter the BIOS and set the CDROM as the first boot device, floppy 2nd and hard disk 3rd (or hard disk 2nd floppy 3rd as some BIOSes don't support cd/floppy/hard disk ). Then you will be prompted to boot from CD which should timeout after a few seconds and try the next device in th eboot sequence.
Tiger50
Grafter

I need the option to boot from the cd or hd

I need the option of booting from the cd or the hard disk.

Example when boot from the xp install cd you are given the option to load from cd and if you do not press any key within a few seconds it will boot from the hard disk, if it is bootable..........

I would like to have the same option........I would not want to boot off the cd everytime...................
N/A

If its all dos then make a boot floppy and if you are using Nero you can use the floppy as the boot image.

You can test it by adding your menu in autoexec.bat.

You can do it by seting up the autorun file as well and then run your menu.

This site may help http://www.tacktech.com/topranked.cfm

There are prog to make the menus for you but if your using dos then its as good but not as fancy.
Community Veteran

I would like to have the same option........I would not want to boot off the cd everytime...................

You don't have to. If there is no CD in the drive it will boot off the floppy then hard disk as normal.

You can't just boot off CD from the hard disk.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Using that option it only gives you 5 seconds to "Press any Key" after which it moves on to the Floppy or HD. If you need Dos then unless you are using 98se then you will need to get a 98 boot disk as win 2000 and XP cant boot in Dos.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Tiger50
Grafter

I have to boot five/six times

Hi,

I have to reboot the computer five/six time and if i leave the cd in the cdrom unit it will load every time..........

I dont think I have explained myself clearly..................

When using some of the utils from the cd i have to restart the computer and its a real pain to keep removing the cd, that is why i would like the option to boot from cd or hard disk...............
N/A

Some computers have a bios which allows you to choose your boot device during the first few seconds, without having to change anything in the Bios.

During boot, on my computer, I can press F8 and the bios will pop up a small menu asking me where I want to boot from, i.e. floppy, hard disk etc.

What OS are you running on?
N/A

try this site
http://bootcd.narod.ru/index_e.htm

it has forums on booting cds and lots of utils to make the boot images