cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power button failing

N/A

power button failing

Built a pc from scratch using what I admit was a cheap case (false economy!) and now the power button is failing.
Seems to be a contact problem in the switch itself. Sometimes it works first time, most times it requires many attempts with the leds flickering until it catches and finally works.

Does anyone know of any remedy that does not involve swapping the case? Can you get new switches for pc cases and if so where?

I tried to find a pic of the case to attach but haven't got one yet. they were very widely available late 2003/2004.
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

power button failing

What make/name of case is it ? i have loads of spare bits inc switches might just have one that will fit

depending on the type of switch you can remove the front panel from your case
take the switch out and see if its come adrift anywhere, it might be obvious once youve got the panel off as to whats wrong
used to get this a lot with the gateway cases and they just needed reseating
N/A

power button failing

I've seen this problem before, Turned out to be the PSU, it was a cheapo psu, replaced that and all was fine Cool

The only other time ive seen this type of error is on a few motherboards from about 1-2 yrs ago where the capacitors (look for the round shiny bits) were giving up, you could tell visually as the tops instead of being flat started to bulge upwards and often would have some light brown gunk on the top, best cure dump motherboard :shock:
Community Veteran

power button failing

Have you actually identified that it is the switch?
If its an ATX board and they almost all are these days then you can prove it by just linking the the two pins on the header where the lead from the switch goes to the board. Use a screwdriver blade.
There is no mains power here so it safe to do this as its an electronic switch.

If the machine starts up reliably then its the switch.
If it still fails at this point its either the PSU or the board.
Then try another PSU temp to prove which it is.
pcorker
Grafter

power button failing

My motherboard's BIOS gives me an option to startup with a left click from the mouse so I don't need to use the power button... Possible workaround?
Pat.