cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pointing to my ftp server at home

N/A

I have got a ftp server running on a linux redhat machine at home that all works within my internal network ie i can ftp to it succsessfully on one of my other machines by putting in its ip address. however, I can't access it from outside my network. I have a netgear wireless router that the machine is on which is set in the dmz zone. I have NAT so all the IP's on my machines at home are within a set range including the ftp server but this should not affect it as I have it in the dmz and the surely the router should route traffic to this machine

I also have my own domain www.stumpers.co.uk with plus net. I have configured the additional records with the name of the ftp server as "archive" on the left and my static ip on the right so that when i type in ftp archive.stumpers.co.uk it should work. is this correct?

Am i really far off the mark with this. It may be possible i have not set up my hostname on the linux box wrong as the only way way i can ftp on my network is by using its ip. will this even work with my netgear router. help
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PlusNet do not support sub-domains so you can't use archive.xxxxx. The only sub-domains supported are fp, cgi and www.

As long as stumpers.co.uk points to your PlusNet IP, you can just use ftp stumpers.co.uk to access it. However, you can't do this from within your own network because the router will get confused trying to access your PlusNet IP from the local network side. You should use something like www.web2ftp.com which is an FTP proxy so the connection is attempted from the internet side of your router.

You also need to setup port forwarding on your router to forward ports 20 & 21 to the local IP address of your FTP server otherwise your router will just block FTP connections.
N/A

ok well thanks. atleast I know and don't waste my time on something that wont work like that. I will give that proxy ago though. cheers
the_norris
Grafter

PlusNet do not support sub-domains so you can't use archive.xxxxx. The only sub-domains supported are fp, cgi and www.

Are you sure - I have WEBMAIL.Domain.co.uk pointing to my home IP and the domain.co.uk eg www. point to my ISP webspace.

Works find.

You are correct about you will not be able to use your public IP (Plusnet one) from inside on yuor own network.

Phil
LiamM
Grafter

I too have radio.rockreview.co.uk pointing to my IP. Works the same as adsl.liam-martin.co.uk which is my rDNS.
Community Veteran

I sit corrected. Shockedops:

It must only be if you point it to your own IP that sub-domains are allowed. I know you can't use sub-domains on your plusnet webspace so assumed this was a general limitation.
LiamM
Grafter

Theres no way of stopping you pointing the subdomain to your IP if ur domain registrar will allow you to configure your own DNS.

It is true to say that Plusnet will not allow it, however, on the webspace.