cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plus net router - any good?

Patch
Grafter

Finally BT is upgrading our phone exchange for broadband, so we will be able to abandon our ISDN line.

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the modem/router that plusNet can supply?

Our current situation is that our office computers are connected to a central switch which then has an ethernet link to a Dlink ISDN (Dling DI304) router for our connection. So I was planning to just switch this router to a broadband router/modem. I wondered if the one that plus net can supply is any good, or if we would be better off looking elsewhere. There seem to be several options for the same sort of price.

Obviously reliability of the router is a consideration, as are features, such as firewall, DHCP server. Other optional features which may be of interest are a DMZ port and VPN to allow staff to access their emails/documents from home.

Any advice, comments etc, would be gratefully received.

many thanks

Patch
10 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

I've got a Pn supplied Solwise SAR 130 and never had a moment's trouble with it since August last year when I got it.

I got it from Pn on the grounds that if my broadband connection didn't work right, then both the connection and router were supplied by Pn and they wouldn't be able to fob me off on to somebody else. But it worked like a charm.

Indications are that more people on these forums use Netgear kit, so there are more people to ask if you have problems.

I have to go to the Solwise forum to ask about the details of port forwarding and other exotica if I can't work out how to do something, but they've always been very helpful.
Patch
Grafter

Thanks Geoff, sounds encouraging, but I see the from the Solwise site that the SAR130 has been discontinued. Does anyone have any idea what plus net supply now? I was not able to find much out from the account upgrade page other than the number of ethernet ports on each router.

Thanks

Patch
Alecto
Grafter

I didn't know I was obsolete so soon.

Looks like they offer BT Voyager or Binatone now:

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/router_hardware_guide.shtml
Patch
Grafter

Thanks for pointing out that link... most helpful. I'll check the specs and then go from there.

Cheers

Patch
N/A

Get a Netgear adsl router, easy to setup and very reliable. You don't have to get a wireless one if you will never use it. Many of my workmates all have same router as me and have had no regrets buying them.
N/A

I have been using a netgear dg814 for 2 years+, and as luck would have it, have just connected my brother up with a dg834g (today- well - yesterday -realy) -- there might better, but I don't think it gets any easier.

Reviewers say that it's not the fastest on wireless, but ...........

good luck on you decision.
Patch
Grafter

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on your comments and our previous experience of Netgear products, I have decided we will go for the Netgear DG834.

All I have to hope now is that we are not too far from the local phone exchange... fingers crossed.

Patch
N/A

Routers

I would coucur with the above suggestion of a Netgear router. I have a mixed PC and Mac network running on on for nearly two years with no probs.
N/A

I've been using a Netgear router for a couple of years with no problems until about a week ago when it wouldn't hold the ADSL connection.

I was very happy with it until then so decided to buy another Netgear, the DG834G. Once installed, I found it to be much faster than my old DG824 and just as simple to set up. It has advanced configuration options that should allow you to set up almost anything you need. The configuration can be saved to a file for backup, so if it ever fails, you can be up and running within minutes of installing a replacement, providing it is the same model.

It may be significant to note that the Netgear website shows the DG824M has a three year warranty, but the newer model DG834G only has 1 year. Netgear have very helpfully agreed to replace my old DG824M with a working model, and all the postage is pre-paid too.

I've installed several routers for people in small office and home installations and always prefer the Netgear as it's very quick to get organised.
N/A

Thanks Geoff, sounds encouraging, but I see the from the Solwise site that the SAR130 has been discontinued. Does anyone have any idea what plus net supply now? I was not able to find much out from the account upgrade page other than the number of ethernet ports on each router.

Thanks

Patch

The 130 ihas been discontinued? :shock: I'm still using the SAR110 i got from Plusnet when our exchange got ADSL