cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help

N/A

please help

Hi wonder if anyone can help. When i restart or boot up my computer it takes ages. I have 6 entries at start up i did all this via tuneup utilities. The only thing i could think of was my daughter installed msn messanger live but ive removed this and its still taking ages driving me nuts any advice would be appreciated :lol:
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

please help

Have a look at Device Manager in the Control Panel
If there are any driver problems showing this can be a significant factor.
N/A

please help

thanks will do
N/A

please help

no not that Cry
Community Veteran

please help

Assuming you are using XP can you go to start run and type msconfig
This will give you the System Configuration Utility
First have a look at the startup tab.
Is there anything odd in there like MSN which you thought you had removed
If there isn't you could try the various boot options under the general tab.
If you first try diagnostic startup - if this doesn't fix it then we have a more basic problem.
If it does you will need to go through the various options to try to isolate the problem program or driver. If you start with the various options under selective startup then progress to stopping the loading of each program in turn it should isolate the problem
N/A

please help

I use startupcpl free from

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml as its easy to turn off startup progs with this. Next check your disk isnt fragmented, check nothing at startup has to wait for anything like AV updates as this could stop windows loading while it updates.

Finaly save this text into notepad and save as stops.cmd and then double click on it to run it this will stop all services that arnt needed and save load sof time/memory..

:: A "batch file" that stops unnecessary services to maximize performance of an XP pc while playing internet games.
::
:: ***Note*** Some services may or may not be necessary for your particualar configuration.
:: For a detailed descriptions of XP services that may be stopped visit http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks6.htm
:: The "::" leave room for definitions of each command.
:: Change directory to root.
cd\
:: Turns off excessive display while the batch file runs.
echo off
echo .
echo .
echo .
echo ..
echo ...
echo Stopping Services
echo ...
echo ..
echo .
echo .
echo .
:: Alerter Service - Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the service is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not receive them. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop Alerter
:: Automatic Updates - Enables the download and installation of critical Windows updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can be manually updated at the Windows Update Web site.
net stop wuauserv
:: AVG Anti Virus service - Good, Free Anti-Virus software
net stop AVGServ
:: Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will not be able to share information with remote computers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop ClipSrv
:: System Event Notification - Tracks system events such as Windows logon, network, and power events. Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of these events.
net stop SENS
:: Com+ Event System - Supports System Event Notification Service (SENS), which provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing Component Object Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped, SENS will close and will not be able to provide logon and logoff notifications. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop EventSystem
:: Computer Browser - Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop Browser
:: Cryptographic Services - Provides three management services: Catalog Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this service is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop CryptSvc
:: Help and Support - Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop helpsvc
:: Indexing Service - Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.
net stop cisvc
:: IPSEC Services - Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP security driver.
net stop PolicyAgent
:: IPv6 Internet Connection Firewall - Provides intrusion prevention service for a home or small office network.
:: net stop ip6FwHlp
:: Logical Disk Manager - Detects and monitors new hard disk drives and sends disk volume information to Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service for configuration. If this service is stopped, dynamic disk status and configuration information may become out of date. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop dmserver
:: Messenger - Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop messenger
:: Net Logon - Supports pass-through authentication of account logon events for computers in a domain.
:: net stop netlogon
:: OpenVPN Service - http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/
net stop openVPNservice
:: Remote Desktop Help Session Manager - Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote Assistance will be unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the Dependencies tab of the Properties dialog box.
net stop RDSessMgr
:: Remote Registry - Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop RemoteRegistry
:: Server - Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop lanmanserver
:: System Restore Service - Performs system restore functions. To stop service, turn off System Restore from the System Restore tab in My Computer->Properties
net stop srservice
:: Task Scheduler - Enables a user to configure and schedule automated tasks on this computer. If this service is stopped, these tasks will not be run at their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop schedule
:: Terminal Services - Allows multiple users to be connected interactively to a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal Server.
net stop TermService
:: Themes - Provides user experience theme management.
net stop Themes
:: Universal Plug and Play Device Host - Provides support to host Universal Plug and Play devices.
net stop upnphost
:: Workstation - Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
net stop Workstation
echo .
echo .
echo .
echo ..
echo ...
echo Services Stopped
echo ...
echo ..
echo .
echo .
echo .
pause
exit
N/A

please help

This might come in handy. A program created by Microsoft to speed up those boot times.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Also I have seen cases where peoples boot.ini's have been slightly corrupted which really slows down boot times.

You can access this and much more from going to:

"Start" Menu > Hit "Run..." > Type "msconfig" and push enter.

Here you have a list of tabs, boot.ini should be one, you also have startup where you can choose which programs start and which dont etc.

Hope this helps, and goodluck!
Community Veteran

please help

If the major slow down in boot time is happening after you have got to the desktop, rather than slow getting to the desktop, it could well be a bad program or driver update that is causing it.

As soon as you get it booted to the desktop, hit "Ctrl+Alt+Del" to open Task Manager, then click on the "Processes" tab and see if there is anything hogging all the CPU.

If there is, then make a note of the full process name so you can google it to find out what prog it pertains to.

Once you have the info, you could try un-installing that program or update.

If that sorts it out, it is worth trying a reinstall of the offending program/update, because it may have just installed badly the first time around.
N/A

please help

Hi have just got up i will have a good look into everyones help and will post back with my findings

@ mwright wow gonna take me a while :lol:
N/A

please help

Hi have got it sorted now it was msn it seems it was not completly removed once again thanks for all your help :lol:
Community Veteran

please help

This might come in handy. A program created by Microsoft to speed up those boot times.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Have you had any success with that program.
When I used it with XP SP1 it worked very well but after upgrading to SP2 I could never get it to work properly
N/A

please help

no that one did not work and i have sp2 that is probably y :lol: