cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pc failure

N/A

pc failure

Sad hi my problem is this the pc will not boot up tried everything eliminated the obvious ,HD and MEM but this just works on other pc sits humming away tried boot disk and start up disk, nothin happens power to all drives tho, any pointers PLEASE MANY thanks, Antony
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

pc failure

You dont seem to have tried the Power Unit. (not just power to drives)
Can you see if this works in another PC?

If it does then all that is left is the Motherboard or the Graphics card which you dont say you have tried.
Community Veteran

pc failure

Also CPU not listed on things you have tried?
Can you try this in another machine? Not always possible I know due to different types of boards but would help if you can.
N/A

pc failure

Depends what is happening when it doesn't boot. What actually happens??
Do you get any system beeps when it starts ?? (unless you have no internal speaker attached to the outputs)
It could be
1/ The video card has gone duff.
2/ The BIOS has got corrupted
3/ The CPU has fried.
4/ PSU voltages dropped or 0v (in which case you may not even get system beeps)

The startup beeps, or MB system LED's on MSI boards, will tell you what is at fault.
Community Veteran

pc failure

Can you give us full details of the PC including motherboard model , processor speed/type, memory size and power supply size (x Watts) and include all the peripherals, PCI cards, graphics cards, drives etc. If this is a company brand PC like HP, DELL etc what is the model number.

Without knowing the specifics of the system the following are just general ideas...

Do you hear the fans when you switch the PC on. Also is the fan on the power supply working?

If you take the cover off and power up the system, do you hear the disk drives starting up. also check if the fan on the processor is moving? Make sure you don't touch anything when it is powered on.

Do any of the PCI cards have lights on them which should normally be on but are not.

With the cover off, do you smell any burning inside the case?

If the PC is completely silent, check the power socket works by pluggging in a lamp?

If you have another power lead try that?

If could be a faulty or shorted component so you need to do a process of elimination:

With everying powered off and unplugged, remove all PC cards, graphics cards, power cables, ribbon cables, processor, ram so you have nothing connected to the motherboard.

Next refit the CPU & heatsink.fan. You may need to put new thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink if this is removed so if you don't have any to replace what is there just leave the CPU in the motherboard.

Then connect the PSU to the motherboard and switch on. Do you get any beeps? If not it could be your power supply, cpu or motherboard that has died.

If you do hear beeps then, after powering off, add each of the components removed in turn and try powering on again listening for more beeps. Try memory first, then video card + connect the monitor. If you don't get anything on the monitor at this point it could be faulty memory of graphics card (if you hear beeps they will tell you what fails during the powerup test cycle).

If you do see the BIOS startup screen, power off and, fit the disks & cables and power on again, then try each of the other PCI cards until the PC fails to boot which will then indicate the last item fitted is the likely cause or the PSU cannot handle the load.

I think you get the idea. If you are not comfortable about removing things from the PC your only option is to take it somewhere to be repaired. If it is still under warranty contact the place where you purchased it from and ask for it to be repaired.

If you are not sure, post back what you did and what you saw or .heard at each step above and we will try and help you further.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

pc failure

thanks sorry 4 late reply ,been away well basically i have done an ellimination process,but what happens i boot up power goes 2 all drives, HDFLOPPY,CDROM.DVDR,ECT and fans start up,led on HD illuminates, yeh, and thats as far as it goes, no beeps at all im runnin winME,i HAVE TO SAY i DID have a virus sometime ago, trojan horse,, but using norton AV ,assumed ID got shut, i suspect might be corrupt bios, in which case how do i rectify that please?, goin to do a test on cpu 2day , cos thats the only other thing thats not been eliminated thus far, so any help please greatly appreciated. got 2 day free so will work on it thanks tho to all.regards,antony Cool
Community Veteran

pc failure

Do you see anything at all on the monitor screen or is that just Blank?
N/A

pc failure

hi John the screen remains blank with no beeps at all BUT ,tested the monitor with antoner pc using HD from dead pc, Huhi know this ones difficult?
thanks ANTONY
Community Veteran

pc failure

OK the next thing you need to eliminate is the graphics card. Providing of course that the board has a seperate card and not one of the built in ones.
Can you either transfer the graphics card to another machine or use a known good card in the duff machine.
N/A

pc failure

Hi nope graphic card ok ,the pc just fires up, HD kicks in , spins as it does, all fans runnin,, but een remains blankHuh? no beeps or anything. if its a corrupt bios ,would it be cheaper to invest ina new MB? and start from scratch? Sad
Community Veteran

pc failure

As I suggested earlier, go back to a minimal config with just the processor and PSU connected to the mobo - no ram, no other cables connected, no cards (including graphics) fitted and see if it beeps - it should do without memory and graphics.

If it does not either your PSU is bad, your CPU is bad or the motherboard.

If it does beep you know there is life there and start with fitting the memory - see my earlier post.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

pc failure

ok done taht and no beeps,but prior to that ,iv eliminated the psu on the basis that power is gettin to the drives and the fans kick in!,even to the stage of the HD kickin in just wont boot up?Huh
Community Veteran

pc failure

Also with regard to the Power Supply Unit. Just because the fans and Hard drive start running and lights appear does not rule this out. All this means is that the 12 volt rail is giving an output which is what these motors and lights run off.
It doesn't prove the 5 volt or other rails.
The only real way is to either check it with a multimeter or failing that unbolt it and try another PC with your power unit.
This is easier than you think to do if its a ATX case. Just undo the 4 screws. unplug the flying leads and it comes out.
(An older AT case is a bit harder as the mains lead goes to the front but you can still park your faulty machine next to a good one and get the flying leads to reach.)
Take it along to a working machine and swap the flying leads for yours.
No need to bolt it in to see if the machine starts up. If it does then that eliminates the PSU as a cause.
Community Veteran

pc failure

Could still be the PSU as the fans only use +12V rail and the disks only use +12V & +5V rail and the CPU uses most of the others (+5V, -5V, +3.3V etc). If the CPU does not get all the power it needs it will not function so can't run the POST (Power On Seft Test) which will produce the beeps when it finds missing hardware like memory.

I had a similar problem, all fans/disks working but no boot. Sent the mobo & processor back to shop and they found no problems. Replaced the PSU and it booted fine.

The only way to prove that is use the PSU in another PC.

It does however sound like a CPU and/or mobo fault (sometimes a fault on the mobo will take out the CPU as well and vice versa). Or as you said a corrupted BIOS. Some mobo's have a BIOS recovery mode, check the mobo manufacturers web site to see if yours has that.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

pc failure

Hi nope PSU fine tried and fitted another one njust to be sure as well as testin old psu both workin so hmmmmmmmm i still think might be bios or arghhhhhhhh cpu ,I DO HAVE A SPARE DURON 900, BUT WOULD thta work on this board, its just a pc chips 810? just aswell i got 2day off hehehe Cheesy
thanks 4 helpin me thru this.