Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pc bleep

namtab
Grafter

pc bleep

:? Hi, need some help, I have just added some more memory which
gives me 768mb made up of 3 256 pc2100ddr, since i added the 3rd stick i now crash when i try to play games and get a bleeping sound, the only way out is to switch off at the mains?I have tried removing a stick when i do this all is ok again,it makes no differance which stick i take out same result all ok?but when i try all 3, crash!! Apart from game playing the system works well with all 3 sticks, I have a Athlon xp1800, ATI Radion 850 on a msi kt3 motherbord all drivers uptodate and most resent bios. I have checked the psu on a mates and seems ok.
9 REPLIES
Brickinit
Grafter

pc bleep

i'm sure the first thing people will ask is which o/s you are running as some( i think win 98 ) are not happy with anything over 512 megs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

pc bleep

Sounds like either your motherboard bios needs updated to fix a memory address problem. Or one of the sticks of ram is faulty and the crash only happens as the difference is only enough when all three are in use. So one quick check and possible fix, in the bios for this set the memory to its default speed not Optimized if that doesnt help you will have to get the ram tested.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

pc bleep

For earlier windows version have a read of Windows 98 & WinME
Memory Management

Both 98 & Me can have problems with >512Megs installed without some tweaks. Win2K or XP should work fine with 768Megs.
namtab
Grafter

pc bleep

Thanks for your helpfull replys, i am running WIN ME,
now going to do some reading on memory will let you know how i get on.
namtab
Grafter

pc bleep

Looks like ill have to remove a stick of memory or upgrade to XP.
Had a go at setting the A,G,P settings in the bios to 64mb but this made no difference, so anyone out there running 98/ME and with a good A,G,P card fitted,stick to 512mb untill you can upgrade to XP:

SYMPTOMS
If a computer that is running any of the versions of Windows that are listed above contains more than 512 megabytes (for example, 768 megabytes) of physical memory (RAM), you may experience one or more of the following This problem may occur more readily with Advanced Graphics Port (AGP) video adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in the system arena. For example, if Vcache is using a maximum cache size of 800 MB and an AGP video adapter has a 128-MB aperture mapped, there is very little address space remaining for the other system code and data that must occupy this range of virtual addresses. symptoms:
You may be unable to open an MS-DOS session (or command prompt) while Windows is running. Attempts to do so may generate the following error message:

There is not enough memory available to run this program.
Quit one or more programs, and then try again.
The computer may stop responding (hang) while Windows is starting, or halt and display the following error message:

Insufficient memory to initialize windows. Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, and restart your computer.
CAUSE
The Windows 32-bit protected-mode cache driver (Vcache) determines the maximum cache size based on the amount of RAM that is present when Windows starts. Vcache then reserves enough memory addresses to permit it to access a cache of the maximum size so that it can increase the cache to that size if needed. These addresses are allocated in a range of virtual addresses from 0xC0000000 through 0xFFFFFFFF (3 to 4 gigabytes) known as the system arena.

On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be large enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions such as opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine).
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:
Use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the maximum amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512 megabytes (524,288 KB) or less. For additional information about how to use the MaxFileCache setting, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
108079 32-Bit File Access Maximum Cache Size

Use the System Configuration utility to limit the amount of memory that Windows uses to 512 megabytes (MB) or less.For additional information about how to use the System Configuration utility, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
181966 System Configuration Utility Advanced Troubleshooting Settings

Reduce the amount of memory that is installed in your computer to 512 MB or less.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
MORE INFORMATION
Vcache is limited internally to a maximum cache size of 800 MB.
Community Veteran

pc bleep

Well, did you try setting the MinFileCache to 524,288 as it suggests and rebooting?
namtab
Grafter

pc bleep

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 08:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, did you try setting the MinFileCache to 524,288 as it suggests and rebooting?

:? I took a look at it, but I am unsure what to change so decided to leave
alone, this is what i came up with, how do i open Vcache?

[boot]
oemfonts.fon=vga850.fon
system.drv=system.drv
drivers=mmsystem.dll power.drv
shell=Explorer.exe
user.exe=user.exe
gdi.exe=gdi.exe
sound.drv=mmsound.drv
dibeng.drv=dibeng.dll
comm.drv=comm.drv
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
keyboard.drv=keyboard.drv
*DisplayFallback=0
fixedfon.fon=vgafix.fon
fonts.fon=vgasys.fon
386Grabber=vgafull.3gr
display.drv=pnpdrvr.drv
SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\3DTEXT~1.SCR

[keyboard]
keyboard.dll=
oemansi.bin=xlat850.bin
subtype=
type=4

[boot.description]
system.drv=Standard PC
mouse.drv=Standard Mouse
keyboard.typ=Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
aspect=100,96,96
display.drv=RADEON 8500 SERIES

[386Enh]
ebios=*ebios
woafont=app850.fon
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd
device=*dynapage
device=*vcd
device=*vpd
device=*int13
display=*vdd,*vflatd
device=*enable

[NonWindowsApp]
TTInitialSizes=4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 20 22

[power.drv]

[drivers]
wavemapper=*.drv
MSACM.imaadpcm=*.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=*.acm
wave=mmsystem.dll
midi=mmsystem.dll
MSVideo.LVfWWDM=lvfwwdm.drv
MSVideo.VfWWDM=vfwwdm.drv

[iccvid.drv]

[mciseq.drv]

[mci]
cdaudio=mcicda.drv
sequencer=mciseq.drv
waveaudio=mciwave.drv
avivideo=mciavi.drv
videodisc=mcipionr.drv
vcr=mcivisca.drv
MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv
MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv

[vcache]

[Password Lists]
?=C:\WINDOWS\MARTIN.PWL

[drivers32]
MSACM.msg711=msg711.acm
vidc.CVID=iccvid.dll
VIDC.IV31=ir32_32.dll
VIDC.IV32=ir32_32.dll
vidc.MSVC=msvidc32.dll
VIDC.MRLE=msrle32.dll
msacm.lhacm=lhacm.acm
msacm.msg723=msg723.acm
vidc.M263=msh263.drv
vidc.M261=msh261.drv
VIDC.IV50=ir50_32.dll
msacm.iac2=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IAC25_32.AX
VIDC.VDOM=vdowave.drv
msacm.msaudio1=msaud32.acm
msacm.sl_anet=sl_anet.acm
MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadp32.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=msadp32.acm
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
MSACM.trspch=tssoft32.acm
msacm.l3acm=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\L3CODECA.ACM
VIDC.YUY2=msyuv.dll
VIDC.UYVY=msyuv.dll
VIDC.YVYU=msyuv.dll
VIDC.YVU9=lvcodec2.dll
VIDC.I420=msh263.drv
VIDC.IYUV=iyuv_32.dll
vidc.mxmc=MimicICM.DLL

[TTFontDimenCache]
0 4=2 4
0 5=3 5
0 6=4 6
0 7=4 7
0 8=5 8
0 9=5 9
0 10=6 10
0 11=7 11
0 12=7 12
0 13=8 13
0 14=8 14
0 15=9 15
0 16=10 16
0 18=11 18
0 20=12 20
0 22=13 22
Community Veteran

pc bleep

You don't open Vcache, it's a section within the system.ini file as you can see.

Under the [vcache] section add the following 2 lines:

MinFileCache=1024
MaxFileCache=523264

This will set the min vcache to 1Meg and the max vcache to 511Megs.

Then fit your extra memory stick and see if it helps.

Cheers

Peter Cool
namtab
Grafter

pc bleep

Under the [vcache] section add the following 2 lines:
MinFileCache=1024
MaxFileCache=523264
This will set the min vcache to 1Meg and the max vcache to 511Megs.

Cheesy Did what you said m8 and now working fine,have run some games and
3d mark, with no problems,so a big thanks for your help and everyone else who replyed:::: THANKYOU