cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opinions about wireless routers

N/A

I have just aquired a laptop for my son to do his gcse homework/coursework on without monopolising the family desktop.I have a perfectly good usb modem (fujitsu), which has given me three years of excellent service. I am looking to set up a wireless network using two usb 'dongles' on desktop and laptop, a wireless gateway/router and a rj-45 to usb adapter to connect to the modem via my usb hub. I realise most people use modem/routers, but having read so many topics about dropped connections, most of which seemed to be involving modem/routers, I thought I might be better off with my usb modem. At least I would be able to go back to my original set up if things went wrong. I was going to use a Belkin router (f5d7231) but after reading another post someone said avoid Belkin. Are they unreliable? Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) router. Sorry to be longwinded. P.S. is it pronounced rooter or rowter :?:
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can't connect your USB modem to a router using an rj45 -> USB converter. The modem only works with drivers running on your PC and the USB to rj45 converter (it only works this way around) is to allow a USB port to be turned into an rj45 (Ethernet) port. The USB -> rj45 converter only works with drivers running on your PC as well.

If you intend to buy a router then ditch your USB modem and buy an all-in-one wireless device. You then connect your PC via Ethernet cable (a much better soluton than USB) to the router and your laptop via a USB or PCMCIA wireless unit.

For this you just need the netgear DG834G router (one of the best and most reliable around) + a network card for your PC (if it does not have one) and whatever wireless device for your laptop.
N/A

thanks for the reply. the info for the adapter said nothing about set ups, I presumed it was just that, an adapter to be used both ways. Is a network card easy to install or should I leave it to an expert.
Community Veteran

You may already have an Ethernet or LAN port on your motherboard (it might be called a 10/100 LAN) check the specs. If not, fitting an internal PCI network card is very easy, as is installing the drivers.

USB only works with drivers running on the PC so any USB converter must plug into a PC to work (and they usually reply on power from the USB port to work as well). They don't work stand-alone.
N/A

Idon't think I have an ethernet port as it is a custom built pc 5 years old(upgraded processor etc since then) but I never specified an ethernet port. I presume the card comes with instructions? Thanks for your help.
N/A

I hope I'm not being a numpty, but I was looking at the Netgear FA311 network card, but it doesn't mention XP in the O.S requirements Does this mean it may not be compatible? Should I buy the GA311 which can use XP?
Community Veteran

The FA311 works fine with XP, I'm using one now.

You don't have to buy Netgear as any old generic network card from your local PC store or mail order site will work and may save a few quid.
N/A

Thanks Smiley