cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

operating system not found.

N/A

can anyone help me.? computer was working fine on saturday night, when my girlfriend switched it on on sunday it started up and then all that was displayed was operating system not found!!! does anyone know what has happened and how do i get my operating system back. i have windows xp which was pre-installed when i bought it from pc world 3 yrs ago.
    Sad
    3 REPLIES
    Denzil
    Grafter

Could be a hard drive problem. Your PC will have a little light on the front that flickers when starting up or opening files. Does that do anything?

Also worth checking the BIOS boot device setting. When you start up you will get a black screen with a logo and a memory check display, and "press DEL to enter setup" or similar. Do that and you get a setup screen. Use the arrow and enter keys to navigate through the menus until you find a boot order option. Check that the hard drive is listed (not necessarily first).

Another thought - is there a floppy disc or CD left in the machine? It might be trying to boot from that. If so remove it and try again.
    Community Veteran

Denzil pretty much covered it all with that! Good post Denzil!

@mrascot Crossing my fingers for you, and hoping that it is a simple thing as Denzil suggests! Wink
    N/A

thanks to all for the replies , i went into the bios and changed the hard drives around on boot up and hey presto it all started, so am very happy now . :lol: